Chapter Six; My Responsibility

I slowly stepped out of the building, staring towards the man outside. I heard guns click; turning around I saw all my friends with their guns aimed at him.

"He's not going to hurt me," I said softly as I inched closer.

"Hayden," The man said, his face covered by a hood.

"...How'd you get here?" I asked in a worried tone.

"I followed you," He said, and his voice was immediately matched to one I knew.

"You followed us... Cory?" I asked, my voice shaking.

"Yeah,"

"Why? To kill us? Is Red on his way?" I asked, glancing back at my group.

"To say goodbye," He said, lifting his eyes to meet mine... Cory.

"Cory, I barely know you. You didn't need to come all this way just for a goodbye," I said. "Red... he probably knows you're gone. He knows I'm gone. He could be here any second," I said.

"I didn't think that through," He mumbled, and I wasn't surprised honestly.

     I let out a groan before turning away and running back to my group. I stood before them, biting my lip. I was afraid to tell them who Cory was, knowing they wouldn't have the best reaction.

"Who is that?" Beth asked me.

"His name is Cory... he's... well he's one of the maniacs men," I said.

    Instantly, Nick and Ghetto shoved their way past me. Ghetto didn't hesitate to sock Cory in the jaw, causing him to fall to the ground. The others followed in file, taking their swings at Cory. I rushed over, trying to push my way into their fists line of fire.

"Stop!" I screamed multiple times. "Stop it! Leave him be!" I shouted.

     I managed to jump in front of Cory, receiving Nick's punch to my cheek. I cried out in pain, shoving Nick to rhe ground. The violence ceased as I rose to my feet, pulling Cory up. I wiped off the blood from my face, staring them all down.

"He's not Red. He doesn't need a beatdown," I said harshly.

"He might as well be. He works with the lunatic," Ghetto snapped, stepping forward.

"They're not all the same," I stated.

"Hayden, I realize you were there for a good while, but that doesn't mean you know everything these people have done," He said. "I've dealt with these guys since day 1," He reminded, pointing towards Cory. "He's not good,"

"I could say the same to you," Cory spoke up, our eyes all adverting to him.

"In our eyes, you're the bad guys. Messing up what we're doing," He pointed out.

"You can see us as bad, but we all know it's you guys who are doing worse. We don't kidnap people and eat them," Ghetto shouted.

"Hayden isn't in my stomach, is she?" Cory sneered.

"Guys," I said, ceasing their argument.

     Ghetto made some sensible points, but there was that dumb side of me wanting to hold onto Cory. I turned to Nick, a beggars expression on my face.

"Nick, please," I whined. "I know there's something good about him," I said.

     Nick flicked his eyes between Cory and I, slowly approaching me.

"You're responsible for him," He whispered harshly.

     I gave an understanding nod, knowing that if I screwed up they wouldn't hesitate to through us both back to Red. I waved Cory over and lead him up to my room.

     He took a seat on the floor, gazing around as I put away my weapons and gear. I fell onto my cot, staring at the ceiling for a while. I almost forgot he was in the room.

"There's a lot at stake for you with me here," Cory said. "Don't mistake me for someone important," He said.

     I broke my stare with the ceiling, turning my head towards Cory. I sat myself up with a heavy sigh.

"You're important," I assured him. "Someone who runs off from a psychotic cannibal leader just to say goodbye must be important for something. It shows a lot about you, Cory," I said with a smile.

"Well thank you," He said. "I promise, I'll keep in line. I won't get you thrown out. Even if I do do something stupid, I won't let you go down with me," He said softly.

"That's not how this works," I teased. "I'm responsible for you now,"

"Oh really?" He teased back.

"Come eat," Ghetto shouted up the stairs.

     The floorboards creaked as everyone got up and headed down.

"I'm not very hungry," Cory said shyly.

"How are you not?" I asked. "You made a long journey on foot to find us," I reminded.

"I'm afraid to eat normal food, I'm not used to it. I might throw up," He mumbled.

     I pouted as I looked down at him, sitting on the floor. I stretched my hand out to him and locked eyes with his. That same look returned, wrapping itself tightly around my heart. He took my hand and followed my down to the kithchen. I gave his hand a gently squeeze before letting go as we entered.

     I took a seat beside Nick, Cory comfortably claiming the chair beside me. I gave Nick half a smile, feeling the disapproval with every glance. We all sat around the table, eating AK's fabulous food. We were lucky to have him.

"Cory, what exactly did you do when you were with Red?" Ghetto asked, causing everyone to go still.

"Uhm... I was a.. a guard," Cory replied.

"A guard, huh? So did you-"

"Shh! Quiet!" Nick said, and we all stayed still to listen.

"What is it?" Ghetto asked.

"Don't you hear that?" Nick asked.

"Gunfire," Cory and I said at the same time, hearing the loud sounds erupt.

"Red," I said. "He's here,"

"You've done it," Ghetto shouted towards Cory, dragging him out of his chair and up to the front doors.