Guilt

Michael's POV

A heavy taste lingered on Michael's tongue as he followed Lucinda through the forest. Most importantly, her betrayal sat heavily in his chest. He had been a fool to think Lucinda wouldn't try to escape. Of course she would. So, why had he been taken by surprise? The worst part is that he couldn't blame her. Not really.

"You're angry."

Michael didn't answer.

"I'm not going to apologize," Lucinda said. "Hate me. Curse me. Do what you like." She paused. "The Sheriff deserved to die. He killed my family and helped turn me into . . . this. After betraying the town, too, how could you ask me to let him live?"

"No man or woman but God should decide who live or dies," Michael finally said.

"Perhaps," she said, "but I guess you'll be happy to know that I'll go to hell."

Michael grabbed Lucinda's elbow and turned her around. "Is that what you think I want?" he asked. "Can't you see that this is my fault? If I had-"

"Killed me earlier?" Lucinda asked, shaking off his grip. "What's done is done. Regretting your decisions won't accomplish anything."

She stalked away. Michael stared at her before following. It wasn't long before Lucinda halted. She sniffed the air and cautiously headed to the right. They tip toed through the trees as the ground began to slope down. Michael's feet sunk into the loose dirt. Lucinda walked effortlessly down the slope, her gaze darting above them and around them. Her hand rested on the hilt of her sword. Not once for the first time did Michael doubt his decision to arm her.

At the bottom of the slope, a cave's mouth opened up to them. Michael felt a sudden shiver run down his spine. There was something monstrous inside that cave. As Lucinda moved to enter, Michael stopped her.

"I need to know that you won't turn against me," he said.

She stepped out of his grip. She shook her head. "I can't," she said. "I can hear my creator whispering in my ear to kill you."

"But you're strong enough to resist her."

"What about the others?" she asked. "What if they want to kill me? Will you stop them?"

Michael hesitated. She was right. Gabriel and the others would kill her and him for letting a vampire escape. "They'll see reason," he eventually said.

Lucinda didn't question him further. They walked into the caving, the darkness swallowing them up. Lucinda slipped in front of him.

"Be on your guard," she said. "The newer ones stay on the outside of the nest. The closer we get to the center, the older the vampires are."

"We need to find Gabriel and the others," Michael said. "We can't do this on our own."

He continued forward, walking into her. She had stopped.

"What exactly do you plan to do?" she asked.

"We have to end this," he said. "I was sent here to get rid of Kanya's vampires. We must destroy the vampire lord."

"You make it sound so easy," Lucinda said.

"I can't do it on my own. I need Gabriel and the others."

They stood in silence. The cold prickled Michael's skin.

"Alright," Lucinda finally said.

They walked further in; the eerie silence following them. Michael drew his sword, weary of the darkness. His eyes had adjusted with the help of the occasional break in the rocks allowing rays of moonlight to penetrate through. The cave expanded into various tunnels but Lucinda continued to ignore them. She abruptly turned to the right, catching his attention as she did so. As they walked down the tunnel, Michael's grip on his sword tightened. Lucinda had drawn her sword too. Cautiously, they continued forward. A fain voice echoed around them. Michael tensed.