Unfinish Business

Hey. I know it has been awhile since I updated. School has just been too busy but I took the time to get this part in. A recap: Lucinda's new body had taken her to the vampire nest where her maker tells her to feed. Meanwhile, Michael and the Holy Knights get to work.

------

Dark billows of smoke spiraled upward to the dawning sun. The bright and colorful sky did nothing to brighten the faces of the survivors. Not once did Michael look away from the scene. He burned the image into his mind. This was his fault and he would never let himself forget it. He should have known it was all too easy. Finding Lucinda, saving the townsfolk, why did it never occur to him it was all part of some twisted plan – a plan he hadn’t began to figure out. What were the vampires planning?

Michael’s hands curled into fists. The dried blood cracked and peeled from his skin. It had taken hours for him and the Holy Knights to go through the town killing all the vampires and gathering the victims at the center of the town. With the help of the survivors, they had built a pyre where all the infected bodies were gathered around and burned. The population of Kanya was dwindling into extinction.

A hand clasped his shoulder. “Let them mourn,” Gabriel said. “We have work to do.

Reluctantly, Michael turned away but the image haunted his steps.

….

Michael sat across Gabriel as they all waited for the Innkeeper to bring their tea. The sun had lowered and was soon to set. Gabriel had given him the day to rest but that had been far from his mind. He had spent hours thinking about Lucinda’s whereabouts. Upon speculation, he had come to the conclusion that she would have gone to the nest; if he managed to track her down; this whole ordeal would come to an end. Michael would be able to liberate her, only then could he retire knowing that he would spend the rest of his days repenting for his mistakes.

The hours of silence had given him plenty to think and even now Lucinda’s words echoed in his mind; the Sheriff was working with the vampires. He didn’t see a way to tell the Holy Knights of the information; not without revealing his source. Few, if not none, of the found townsfolk remained. To track them down now; many of the citizens had already packed their belongings and left for the next town. Kanya was as good as deserted. Without proof, Michael wouldn’t be able to do anything.

At long last the Innkeeper walked in carrying a steaming pot and four mugs. The silence continued as the tea was poured for each of them. With an awkward bow, the Innkeeper walked out.

“What is your report concerning the disappearances of Kanya?” Gabriel asked.

Michael took a few moments to gather his thought before speaking. “Sir, upon my investigation, I conclude that the enemy was taking civilians from the jail; the cells were empty upon arrival. Though we have a great threat before mankind, there are still fools who wish to break the law. In this town there weren’t any. I overheard the enemy declaring its intelligence. I also decided that perhaps the Sheriff had something to do with this but I wasn’t able to further my investigations.”

“Father David commented on that,” Daniel said. He stood near the window keeping vigilance of the street. “You saved a sinner from their punishment.”

“The Order has fought for many decades to dwindle the ranks of our enemies,” Michael said. “I didn’t want to add one more member to their rank.”

“You could have cut her in half,” Joseph said. “Punished and released.”

“She was misguided,” Michael said. “My judgment was merely that of quick thinking.”