Chapter 5

"Miss Lenny?"

I closed my eyes and prayed for the nightmare to end.

This can't be happening.

"Miss Lenny? Is that you?"

"Yes," I croaked, hoping she could hear despite the coarseness evident in my voice. "Don't come inside."

"What are you doing out here? It's so dark and creepy. I'm...I'm a little scared."

"It's okay," I forced myself to speak up, noting how dry my throat felt. "Just don't come into the shed, okay? Go into the house, I'll be right there."

"But Miss Lenny-"

"Go!"

I could feel Ellie hesitate before I heard her reluctantly stutter out, "O-Okay."

Taking her reply as a positive sign, I listened for the fading scrunches of her footsteps to die down before I slowly opened my eyes and focused on the giant male still glaring on top of me.

Getting him off wouldn't be easy, but it would be worth the try.

But as if he'd read my thoughts, the grip he had on me tightened so abruptly that I winced at the amount of pressure.

"You are not going anywhere without me."

I groaned aloud, frustration overriding the discomfort I'd been feeling. "What the hell do you want from me?"

"You'll know soon enough," he said, finally lifting himself off me, and I could've sworn that a ridiculously high amount of energy drained from me in that instant.

I collapsed my head on the ground and fought to control my breathing, not bothering to try and escape yet. My body felt spent and my head span wildly just as my heart rate refused to return to its normal pace.

I didn't know why the hell his nearness did that to me, but I'd be damned if I let him get that close to my body again. Although, I was pretty positive that I'd be of no use to prevent that from happening.

"Get up," he ordered when I still laid on the ground, not moving an inch.

He growled in response to my reluctance. "I said get up."

"Don't touch me!" I scrambled to my feet in an attempt to pull away from his reach. "Don't you ever touch me."

When he merely stood there - his broad shoulders slouched to contain his full height within this small shed - with his silver eyes glowing menacingly in the dark, I glared at him hard. My breathing slowed just as my temperature drastically reduced at the absence of his body, but for some inexplicable reason, my heartbeat still refused to return to normal.

"Look. I don't know what the hell you are and why the hell you aren't affected by the sight of my eyes, but you're going to get out of my way this instant and leave me the hell alone!"

His gaze darkened. "That is not possible."

"I don't care! Just get out of my way." I made a move to exit the shed but his big body immediately shielded the doorway from my view.

The action caused my eyes to narrow. "I'm not afraid of you, you know."

"You don't have to be." He took a step closer. "You may be immortal and may not be wholly afraid, but I can still hear your heart race each time I come near you."

And as if to prove his damn point, I felt my breathing grow uneven in accordance with a continuous fluttery feeling within my chest.

Choosing to ignore those blatant facts, I raised my chin and stood my ground even when the need to dash out of there as fast as I could ate greedily at my conscience. "Fine. Then just tell me what are you and what you're doing here in my backyard. Shouldn't you be out rather hurting people?"