♕ Chapter 5

"An advantage would be the discovery of an embedded lighter at the scene of the arson. Despite its odd appearance, there are a lot of owners and, therefore, it is difficult to narrow down the suspects." A bulky policeman informed, walking carelessly across the living room of the Duchy. He was the informer Julian had referred to, but Freya surely had not expected such a man. Yes, he did speak with a certain degree of rhetoric, but his looks did not match the Duke's area of acquaintances. He seemed almost tipsy, with his dirty hair clinging to his large temples and his shirt hanging loose. Freya needed to snap out of that empiric judgement that held no importance whatsoever. If Julian trusted him, then so should she.

"Pardon me for assuming anything false, but I reckon the arsonist is one of the mediocre pupils' parents." Freya uttered, making both Julian and the police officer gasp in bewilderment.

Julian approached her, his hands ruffling his pitch-black hair in an attempt to release the stress that was bestowed upon them. Why would she presume such a horrid thing?

"I know what both of you may be thinking, but I know these parents, and they would do anything to preserve their offspring's reputation. Incredibly gifted children are certainly not on their wish list." She continued, noticing Julian's features slightly shifting.

"I cannot interrogate the parents, milady. Suspecting powerful individuals without specific proof is like digging your own grave." The informer retorted, shaking his head in utter refusal.

"You seem more intelligent than your coworkers, sir. I am sure it would not be a problem to verify them... unofficially." Freya refused being weighed down by stubborn parents who denied their offspring's idiocy.

Julian smirked admiringly, playfully revealing his dimples. She is indeed worthy of my appreciation. He thought to himself, in remembrance of his vow to test her limits.

"How can you hint such an unlawful proposition?" He asked her, matching his expression to the self-imposed harshness of his voice.

Freya sighed, rubbing her fingers against her temples. Don't let him ruin your spirit! She scolded herself, although the last night's memories hindered her discontent. A stranger brought her a sense of relief she had never felt before, and she should have been grateful for such an indescribable aid. Yet all she was able to do was finding unrealistic meanings in everything he said.

"Because I want to teach these kids to accept their uniqueness. I cannot do such a thing unless I have no more pressure from the authorities. The almighty bloody..."

"Enough." Julian enunciated, raising his index to silence her. She conformed, despite the jostle of her rebellion against her ribcage.

The Duke turned to face his informer and whispered in his ear. "Be discrete." With that final advice – it was more of an order, actually – the policeman left, his mind already processing ways to approach the matter efficiently.

A deadly silence installed in the living room, making Freya shift uncomfortably in her seat. What was she presumed to tell? Maybe it was time she thanked Julian for his help. When she woke up, he was nowhere to be found - probably due to his responsibilities – and his absence brought a bizarre sense of relief, for dealing with her emotions still felt unobtainable.

"Thank you." She uttered, her gaze as piercing as it was grateful.

Julian glared at her, his outlined jaw clenching. "Don't. If I chose not to mention the thing from last night, you should be doing the same."

Freya rose from her seat, placing her hands on her hips. "Is this how you refer to your help? A thing? Why don't you let anyone see the human side of you?" She incredulously asked, her confusion clearly visible.