♕ Chapter 1

"<<As we work to create light for others, we naturally light our own way>>. What is your opinion on this quote?"

Freya was not paying attention to her friend. Maeve, the lady with snow-white curls and a dazzling smile, was one of the loveliest women at the Angels Caring Center. She would always say "Why call it an asylum? Just because we do not have a real family anymore, it doesn't mean we are alone. What we share here is something more comprehensive; it is a spiritual family."

Freya's gaze was focused on a tiny scratch crossing the window. On the other side of the glass, the endless meadows unfolded before her eyes. Serenity filled the air, and yet she could not enjoy the beauty of nature. Her responsibility has never been so crucial. The entire Duchy depended on her and the burden of such obligation was tearing her apart, so deeply and so vividly that she felt like a walking corpse. She has already accepted the terms, the idea of refusing was scandalous! And so, so luring...

"Freya, why are your thoughts so unfocused on the present? I was telling you something!" Maeve whined, revealing creases on her porcelain forehead.

"Believe me, I am in the present. In theory, the quotation is inviting to meditation on self-accomplishment by giving around the best of oneself, by freeing oneself from egotism, the desideratum of each and every good life lived in the divine spirit. Practically, it is a blade with two edges. I have helped people throughout my life, but I do not feel accomplished at all." The corners of her mouth have dropped significantly. Even the least experienced person could have realized she was not at ease with her situation.

"How can you say that? How can you not be grateful for a roof over your head and food in your fridge?"

"I would rather live in a dumpster and be happy than live like a queen and exposing my heart to torment! I apologize for my tone, but this should not be your concern. So please let us have our usual conversations." Freya implored, holding her hands as if she were praying.

The creases on Maeve's forehead were now hollows. She could barely comprehend the change in Freya's demeanor. Until recently, the corners of the young woman's mouth were almost reaching her ears. She was smiling constantly and her optimism was contagious -spreading like a rumor or a whisper. Maeve was aware of Freya's new social status, but her reactions seemed over-exaggerated.

"If you are at a loss for words, I would like to leave. My sleep deficiency is killing me..."

Freya rose from her seat, dusted off her skirt and left without saying goodbye. Her behaviour was frightening, but this was her only way of coping. Most people would have judged her in an instant, but she knew that Maeve forgave her right away.

Reaching her car, she noticed an envelope throttled by the wind screen wiper. Brushing her fingers on the paper, she recognized the emblem. In the past month, she was communicated so many details about her duty, that she could draw the emblem by heart. Two lions holding a white pigeon. The Duchy of Eastbroke was below the Queen when referring to its function, but truthfully, the queen had never dared to confront its decisions.

"We are impetuously asking you to participate in the dinner foregoing the marriage. The date and time are written below. We would be grateful if you did not express any offensive opinion, even if you have plenty to say. We wish you a wonderful day, but we both know it is unlikely to occur.

15th of September, 7 P.M.

With anticipation,