Chapter 37.

"What did you say to Harry?"

The words are out as soon as Harry closes the door behind him and it's just Niall and his mother, alone in the quiet room. Harry seemed so quiet when he came back from dinner with Maura, it was as clear as day that his mother had said something to upset him. Harry had a habit of not telling Niall things because he thinks it's going to upset him, which is why he asked for Harry to leave and his mother to stay.

"I just told him things he already knows." Maura sighs.

That should be reassuring to Niall but it's not. Instead, it makes him more anxious. His mother has a way of twisting things around when she doesn't get what she wants. The same thing happened with Bresi back in Ireland. Today just may be one of those days.

"I just told him you are happier back in Ireland." Maura admits, defeated. Niall's heart quickened up.

No.

No, no, no, no.

That couldn't be right. That's lies. Of course Niall is happy, he's happy with Harry. Why couldn't she see that?

"Mum," Niall starts, "This is the happiest I've been in a long time." He says, through gritted teeth. Maura's face whitens and she falls silent, unsure of what to say.

"I didn't see that when you were in Ireland." She retorts and Niall scoffs.

"Maybe that's because I spent the entire trip covering up our relationship because I knew you wouldn't approve." Niall argues weakly. "And now this is you trying to scare off Harry because you still don't approve." He adds sternly. Maura blinks.

"No, Niall -"

"Y'know, after everything Harry and I have been through lately, all I really wanted was a little respect from my mother. Harry's mother doesn't approve of us and now you don't approve of us. I didn't realise you could sink so slow." Niall could feel his eyes starting to water with wet, salty tears.

"Niall, I -"

"Just go." Niall sniffs and Maura stares at her son.

"W-what?"

"Just go, I can't even look at you right now." Niall sighs.

Sighing heavily, Maura stands up and slowly walks out Niall's room. Niall whimpers softly, wiping at the few stray tears that had escaped him from blue eyes and he waits patiently for sleep to come.

About an hour later, he wakes up. His mother is gone but instead, Harry takes her seat. He's sitting, waiting patiently, with his elbows balanced on his knees and staring wistfully out the window behind Niall. When Niall begins to stir, Harry's attention is diverted to his boyfriend. His face looks lost in thought, absent-mindedly wetting his lips as he greets Niall with a wary smile.

"Haz, what my mum said earlier -"

"Baby, we need to talk."

No.

Not this again. This couldn't be happening.

"If this about what my mum said, it's nothing -"

"It's not about your mother." Harry interrupts.

"Then help me out here, Harry, cause I really don't-"

"I just don't think we should see each other for a while."