Ch 32: Cheers To The Wasted Years

Start from the beginning

“And oh, Zeph? Say hi to Jake for me.” I wink.

For the remaining minutes, I stand between Keana and August while watching the Irony boys load the last of their stuff. I’m biting my tongue, but the pain doesn’t compare to the chaos of emotions I’m feeling. I want them to stay. Even if being around Trevor is awkward, I want them to stay.

The engines of both cars roar. Trevor is the last one to get inside the car, but before he does, he heads my direction. My heart immediately races while I watch him come closer. What does he want now? Keana pushes me forward, and before I curse her for doing so, Trevor’s already up close. Our eyes locked for a few seconds, and I can’t help but see the same piercing sad eyes I saw at the rooftop when he gave me the ring. The poignancy is infectious.

“May I borrow her for a sec?” Trevor asks, and August and Keana leaves us alone.

It’s already sunset. The glorious sun paints the sky a vivid orange and salmon pink. The breeze is tranquil, just like I hoped my panicking heart would be.

Trevor swallows and whispers, “Hey, I just wanna say goodbye.”

I manage to give a slight smile. “Take care and thanks for visiting.”

This time, it’s my turn to initiate a hug. It’s just a friendly hug and nothing more, I remind myself. Surprising him, I wrap my arms around his waist which he hesitatingly returns. In the middle of the embrace, he whispers to me again, “I have something for you. I want you to have this,” he hands me another box, one wider and more planar than the box that held my raven ring. “I figured that whether you accept me or reject me, I should let you have it.”

He is the first one to pull away from the embrace. “Open it later, maybe after you eat your dinner or something, promise?”

I nod in agreement, though it confuses me why he wants it opened later in the evening. “Goodbye, Kailey, and I hope this won’t be our last farewell.” He turns around and heads to the vehicles, leaving me there dumbfounded with his little remembrance.

Much else has happened before they go but I remain still. Time flashes before my very eyes until they left. Even if their cars are out of the driveway, I stand motionless, wishing in my head that I reached for him when I had the chance.

The once love of my life left me.

It was just minutes ago, but I feel like I’ve been abandoned for decades.

                                                            *****

The kitchen smelled like burger steak and potato fries. The aroma of Keana’s dishes is alluring indeed, but it just can’t overpower the melancholy that swept over me. I ask a favor from August to tell the other folks that I’m not going to eat supper today and I walk heavily towards my room.

After sitting on my bed, I hastily open Trevor’s box wrapped in black and white paper. Inside, I see strips of paper surrounding a CD in a case.

What’s this? A video? Slideshow? Is there something he wants me to watch?

I quickly reach for my laptop to play the disk. My screen shows the file inside it: a lone folder with one audio file in it. I have an immediate guess on what it is, but I can’t be too sure. Clicking on the file, I sigh deeply and prepare my ears. God, I hope I don’t get too emotional again.

The recording starts to play. “Hi Kailey,” a husky voice begins, and I swear it’s Trevor’s. “It’s been a long while since the Irony Of Flames tour, huh? Man, I miss that tour. Today’s an April evening here in San Francisco and I feel lonely. Well, not anymore because recording this for you feels like I’m actually talking to you. Okay, I sound crazy, huh? Dang, Xavier and the others will laugh at me when he hears this. Anyway, I wrote a song dedicated to you. I hope you like it.”