Beauty and the Beat (20)

Start from the beginning

“How could you give me a D?” I couldn’t even look down at the test without wanting to rip it to shreds. “I’m your girlfriend.”

He shrugged. “You’re still a student.”

“Will you even let me do a retake?”

“You know I don’t give retakes.”

I couldn’t believe this. You would think that he would cut me a little slack, show me a little mercy, since I was his girlfriend. But no, he still acted like I was just a regular student.

This was the man that said he was in love with me. Why wasn’t he acting like it?

When the door to the classroom suddenly opened, I pushed myself away from the desk a little, not wanting anyone to see how close I was getting, even though it wasn’t very close at all. But when you’re dating a teacher, you get very paranoid. Especially when you’re at school.

I couldn’t help but make a face when I saw that it was Anna who had opened the door, and she was now leaning against the doorframe. Ethan also seemed to be uncomfortable with the fact that it was her, too.

“Riley wants to know if you’re up to hang out today,” she asked, completely ignoring me as if I wasn’t even there and as if she wasn’t talking about my brother. “Does that sound like something you’d want to do?”

With only a glance at me, Ethan nodded. “Sure.”

I just stared at him. He was going to go hang out with his ex-girlfriend and my brother when we were arguing? It may not have been that serious of a fight, but I was still angry!

“Great!” Anna smiled at him, and then finally noticed was there. She said nothing to me and only turned back toward Ethan. “I’ll wait for you outside and let you finish up with your student.”

Your student. Your student. No, Anna, I wasn’t just his student. I was his girlfriend. But you couldn’t know that. Nobody could know that.

“Are we done here, or do you have anything else you want to talk about?” Ethan now asked me, turning his chair toward the door.

“No, by all means,” I sneered, moving out of the way so he could get to the door without me being in the way. “Have a fun time with your ex-girlfriend.”

Ethan could tell that this was bothering me, and a more serious look crossed his face. “Sadie,” he frowned.

“No, no, go ahead.” I waved him away even though I just wanted to hold him and never let him go. “Go have fun. Go be an adult. Go do adult things with other adults.”

“Sadie,” he frowned, standing up from his chair and taking a step so he was now right in front of me. “If you’re worried about Anna, you shouldn’t be.”

I puffed out my cheeks like a child. Anna was only one of the reasons why I was so upset right then. I hated the fact that my boyfriend was leaving to go spend time with his ex-girlfriend.

“Anna and I were never serious,” he told me now, and I almost scoffed. “Yeah, we dated for a couple of years, but we broke up because we saw that we weren’t going anywhere. We never had anything serious going on. We were just together so we wouldn’t be single. We were just together to be together.”

This made me feel a little better, but not very much. I was still angry that he was going to hang out with her, because they were still exes and there was still always the possibility that old sparks could fly, even if he told me that those sparks never existed.

“I’ll talk to you later,” was all I said to him, grabbing my backpack off the desk in the front and spinning toward the door, not wanting to keep him any longer. He called out after me once I was halfway to the door, but I kept going. He didn’t even try to stop me, and that honestly really upset me that he didn’t.