Beauty and the Beat (1)

This story is the spin-off of Let's Play a Game, but it doesn't really matter if you've read that or not. There may be some things that you'll be able to understand more easily if you've read the other book, though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Mom,” I whined, pulling away from her grasp before she could pull my shirt up. “I’m not in kindergarten anymore, I’m a senior. I can wear these kinds of clothes and it’s fine.”

My mother pursed her lips at me, obviously not happy with what I had chosen to wear on my first day of my senior year. The pink tank top I had decided on was a little revealing, but it wasn’t anything I could get into trouble for.

My mother looked over my outfit again. “I’m not so sure, Sadie…”

I didn’t want to tell her that the rest of my friends dressed in a lot worse, because she’d probably then say that I couldn’t hang out with them anymore.

I checked my phone for the time, only to see that I would have been late for my first day if I didn’t leave the house right then. I had no time to change, and my mother seemed to notice that once I reached for my backpack.

“Fine,” she huffed, sounding very unhappy over the fact I was leaving the house in this outfit. “I’ll see you when you get home.”

I waved at her over my shoulder. “See you.”

I hopped into my car and stuck the key in the ignition. Unlike most of the kids in my school, I was actually excited about my first day, especially now that I was a senior. I was now one of the oldest kids in the school, and I had no one to feel intimidated by now. This was definitely going to be a good year.

When I got to school, I smiled at all the people that stared at me as I got out of my car. It was actually pretty expensive for someone in high school, and I wasn’t about to tell anybody that it was actually my oldest brother Johnny’s car.

I waved to a few of my friends as I made my way inside the school, happy to be back in this familiar place. Corvus High School was definitely a place I was going to miss once this year was over.

“Sadie!” I heard a familiar voice cry out, and I turned around to see my best friend running toward me. “Sadie, I’ve missed you so much!”

I smiled at her, and we both hugged and squeezed each other as hard as we both could. She had spent the entire summer in South Carolina for a family reunion, and I hadn’t seen her since she had left. We rarely ever had time to even talk to each other on the phone, and I was so happy that I was able to see her again after she had come home the night before.

“You got even prettier while I was gone!” Freya smiled once she pulled away from me. “Did you get a tan? Did you get highlights? Did you get new clothes? I’ve missed so much and I feel so horrible!”

I laughed, flipping my hair a little. “I guess staying out in the sun a lot changed my appearance a bit.”

Freya squealed, hugging me tightly once again and I hugged her right back. I really missed my best friend, and I was so glad that she was with me again.

“Are you talking about girly things?” a new voice now asked from behind, and we turned and smiled when we saw who it was. “Because if you are, I’m going to have to turn around and walk away.”

“Shut up, Bennett,” I couldn’t help but grin before sticking my tongue out at him. “You know you like all the girly topics we talk about. You know more about what we talk about then we do.”