Beauty and the Beat (10)

“You hit him in the head with a stapler?”

“… It’s not as bad as it sounds.”

“It sounds even worse!”

I tried my best to ignore Bennett as I continued to mix the cake batter. Though it had been a week since I had hit Ethan, I hadn’t told anyone about it yet, and I sure hoped that Ethan hadn’t either. But since Ethan seemed to be perfectly fine, I thought it would be safe to bring it up to Bennett.

“You’re going to kill someone someday, Sadie,” Bennett sighed now as he hopped up and sat right down on the counter. “And it’ll either be Mr. Deveraux or Maxxon, I’m sure.”

I didn’t really know how to react to that. “Hopefully,” I just simply shrugged.

I continued to mix the batter, annoyed that our beater was broken so I had to do this by hand. When Bennett had seen that we had cake mix for absolutely no reason, he practically begged me until I finally agreed to make him a cake.

“I couldn’t even tell that there was anything wrong with Mr. Deveraux,” Bennett informed me now, crossing his legs as he still sat up on the counter to my right. “Do you know when the stiches come out, if they haven’t come out already?”

I shrugged. ‘No clue. And honestly, I don’t really want to know.”

Bennett fake gasped, and it made me jump. “What if they have to be in his head forever?” he practically shouted.

I wanted to hit him with the wooden spoon I was mixing with. There was no way that would happen, so there was no reason to scare me with it!

But it made me think. Ethan said that he was going to get me back for this, somehow. I didn’t want to think about how I was supposed to repay him for this. Would it be okay if I went up into the attic, got the toy truck, and let him throw it at me again? That way, I’d have two scars from it and he’d have one from it and the stapler.

I was thinking too much about this. The stitches were going to come out, the wound was going to heal, and it was going to be as if nothing had ever happened at all. Everything was going to be fine. It had to be.

When someone new stepped into my kitchen from the back door, I turned in surprise to see that it was Maxxon standing there. Then I got angry.

“Why are you here?” I demanded. I couldn’t help but glare at him, but he only smiled like he always did.

He shrugged simply. “Bennett told me you were making cake, so I thought I’d join.”

I gave my best friend a look, and he then smiled at me sheepishly. He knew how much I hated Maxxon, yet he still told him what we were doing? Stupid…

“I didn’t know you could bake, Sade,” Maxxon commented now, dipping his finger in the batter before putting it in his mouth. “I sure hope the finishing result tastes as good as the batter does.”

All I could do was glare at him. He was here just to harass me, like he always was, and I really hated that him and Bennett were such close friends. If it wasn’t for that, I’d probably never have to see him as much as I did.

“Stop it,” I hissed at him, slapping his hand out of the way when he tried to do it again. “You’re going to soil it.”

He only shrugged, reaching for it again. I grabbed for his hand, but this only resulted in him moving his hand out of the way so mine squashed right into the batter.

Maxxon burst out laughing, and Bennett bit down on the inside of his lip to stop himself from laughing. I just stood there, my hand in the batter, in complete shock.