Chapter 39

^^song

+++

I woke up this morning coughing my lungs out. It was early as fuck 'o' clock and Louis was no where in my room.

I felt worse than I ever have, which is really hard to beat.

I slightly push myself up in bed, adjusting the nubs in my nose.

Just then, Louis walks into my room, just as he always does, carrying a box of donuts and a cuppa.

"I brought breakfast." He smiles.

I force a smile back at him.

He sits on the edge of my bed.

"I'm not very hungry." I shake my head.

"Are you sure?" He raises his eyebrows.

I nod.

"I even got your favourite kind. The round chocolate one with the hole and sprinkles." He presses.

"Maybe later."

He nods, placing the box down on the table next to my bed. He takes himself a glazed donut. He eats messily, dropping crumbs everywhere.

"Why blaze it when you can glaze it, right?" He jokes.

I start to laugh at him, but it only turns into severe coughing. I reach over and grab my pan. I cough, coughing up blood.

I feel bad afterwards, like I feel like shit, duh, but I feel bad that Louis witnessed something so improper and disgusting.

"I'm sorry," I apologize, hiding my face from him.

"Hey, it's okay." He says, moving my chin to face him. "Sad to say, but I'm used to it."

"Well, I know I've ruined your appetite." I point out.

"No, I don't think you could do that." He shakes his head, chuckling. "I'm like so hungry I could starve to death."

As soon as he realizes what he said his face pales and his mouth falls open, like an unresponsive fish.

"Tallulah, I'm sorry-" he begins, quickly.

"It's fine, Lou." I assure him, softly.

People always act like it's a crime to mention death to the dying.

He sits with me and talks to me, I try to listen, but it's hard to focus. It's hard to stay awake.

"Are you okay? Do I need to get the doctor?" Louis notices, concern etched in his voice.

"I'm tired," I answer. "And it's so awfully difficult to feel sad and tired when all you want is to feel alive."

Louis looks at me with worried filled eyes. His eyes start to fill with tears and suddenly he's crying.

"Hey, Tommo," I whisper, rubbing his back. "I'm going to need you to move your arse closer to me because I can't move any closer to you." I chuckle, half heartedly.

He moves closer to me. I wrap my arms around his shoulders and he leans his head on my shoulder. I feel him shaking.

"I-I'm sorry," he sniffles.