Chapter Nine Part One: A Monster's Companions

And  . . . I am so, so, so sorry everyone!  I had this great plan to give you all some really fast updates, but it didn't end up happening.  My life has been really stressful and hectic the last few weeks so I haven't had any time what so ever to get on my laptop and write.  Again I am so sorry for not updating on time.  I will try to get the next half of the chapter up as soon as possible.  I hope you guys can forgive me . . .

This update is the first part of a two part update

This update is the first part of a two part update.  I am formatting it this way because the way I have the chapter set up would be so much better split into two as it will be told from two different points of view.

And . . . Here's the chapter!

Chapter Nine Part One: A Monster's Companions

The ride in the elevator was uncomfortable and restricted.  They were the only two souls to ride, but she felt so crowded in, so overwhelmed with his presence that it was hard to breathe.  The ride was swift, quiet, but it felt unending.  His hand was on the small of her back, his fingers rubbing soft circles that she felt burning into her skin through the thick material of her dress.  Both were facing forward, silent, faces blank, so many words, both spoken and unspoken between them.

You love me.  You love me so much it terrifies you.

Those words were a window into his mind, a dark and disturbing glance that she wished she had not taken.  She could not understand him, understand his words.  Yes, he terrified her, his face was made of nightmares and horrific memories, but it was not because she loved him.  She wondered if he had even the faintest idea of what love truly was, of what it looked like, of what it felt like.  Then, flashes of that night invaded her mind, as they always did, and she realized that a monster could never understand something as simple, something as pure, something as beautiful as love.  He could guess at it, pretend to have it, substitute it with lust and desire and control, but he could never truly feel it.

The elevator beeped, the doors swinging open, and she felt a tremendous weight lift off her body.  He led her out, gentle and compassionate, his hand guiding her, controlling her.

His office was on the top floor of the building, sat up so high she knew she could see the whole city.  She felt saddened momentarily; it used to be her father's office.  She shook the thought out of her head, she knew he couldn't protect her any longer, understood that he had never been able to protect her.

The space itself was beautiful but uninviting , modern and simple, made of clean lines and crisp colors.  Windows were everywhere, the afternoon sunlight filtering in, adding a warmth to the otherwise chilling atmosphere.  It was filled with a quiet opulence, the furniture and design were all so unadorned, so cut and dry, made for necessity above all else, but she was not fooled.  She could feel the luxury in the soft, thick carpet beneath her feet, could see the extravagance in every expensive mounted painting hanging on the walls, could detect the exorbitant prices of everything in the room by the smug quirk of her brother's lips as he revealed the room to her with superiority absolutely dripping from him.