Chapter Forty

Man, if I was in his spot I'd be shitting my pants.

Xavier's eye's shifted to mine then on the ground and back to the man.

I followed his eyes to the ground in front of me where a gun lay.

Heck no. I am not becoming a murderer.

Steve nodded his head telling me to do it.

I hesitated. Become a murderer or Xavier is dead. Fuck it.

I slowly leaned over and grabbed the gun trying not to make a sound. I picked it up and tried figuring out how to work it. Dont judge. I've never held a gun before.

Ok think Avery. This is where your awesome skills that you dont really have come in handy.

I started playing with it but got frustrated soon after.

"Dammit, how the hell do you work this stupid thing?" I mumbled agitated, I soon realised that I might have said that a bit too loud.

I looked up to see the man staring at me his gun no longer facing Xavier but facing me. Great going genius my inner self snickered.

"Oh shit" I cursed.

But before I could move Richard had passed a gun to Steve and Steve had shot the man. Thankfully not in the head. But in the stomach making him fall to the ground and fall unconscious. I stared at the now dead man in horror but everyone else acted normal.

"Great distraction" Xavier said taking the gun off me and walking off.

"Distraction? I thought you wanted me to shoot him?" I said catching up to Xavier.

"You shoot him?" Xavier said chuckling.

"Your too innocent to have any sort of blood on your hands" Xavier said with an unreadable expression.

I frowned, trying to keep up with him. "What do you mean by too innoce-" I started but Xavier quickly grabbed me and pulled me closer to him behind a wall as I felt a whoosh of air pass me. Later did I realise that it was a bullet that had narrowly missed me.

I was inches away from Xavier's face as his arms remained firmly around me. He saved my life, literally.

He looked into my eyes with a slight worried look, not pulling away. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine" I managed to say.

"Thank you" I breathed out.

He nodded sharply pulling away and loading his gun as the others caught up with us.

"Follow Damien" he told me before looking between Richard and Steve, "follow closely behind them"

Steve nodded while Damien hesitated often glancing behind.

"What about you?" I asked him.

"I'll lead them another way"

I knew something bad was going to happen. And it worried me that I was worried about Xavier. 

"No, you go I'll stay back" Damien said stopping Xavier.

He seemed rather persistent. "You know the way out of here. You don't want to risk it when Avery's life is put on the line"

Xavier nodded. "The car will be waiting out front, try not to set as many explosives, we don't want to drag attention" Xavier gave a pointed look to Damien.

Damien's sheepish look only meant something had happened last time.

As we started leaving Damien stopped Xavier with a pained expression. "If I don't make it back in five minutes, leave without me"

Xavier didn't reply, not taking Damien seriously,

"I'm serious, leave without me" Damien warned.

Xavier nodded and continued the other way.

I didn't want to leave Damien because it felt like a goodbye.

He gave me a reassuring smile. "I'll be right behind you"

I wasn't convinced. "Why does this feel like goodbye?" I asked.

He gave me an amused smile, "Because I'm leaving"

I rolled my eyes not amused, way to quote fifty shades of grey. "Not funny" I replied in a low voice.

"I'm leaving only for a minute"

I gave him one last glance as he gave me a slight push to the others.

I followed behind Xavier, Damien going a separate way.

Soon later a loud alarm rang through my ears. Followed by loud gunshots.

"Get in the car" Xavier yelled as we entered the daylight. The sun blocking my view.

I raced to the car. Not mainly because of the gunshots but so I can sit in the front, not the back.

Call me childish but I don't want to sit in the boot with no seat belt on, unless I had a death wish.

As soon as Steve shut the door Xavier started driving.

"Wait, what about Damien?" I asked.

I could tell he was caughtoff guard with the whole situation, his knuckles on the steering wheel turningwhite and constantly look at the rear mirror.

"It's been over 5 minutes" Xavier replied, his eyes directly on the road.

Suddenly there was a loud explosion. I looked at the rear mirror to see the warehouse up in flames. Damien.

Xavier stepped on the brakes causing the car to a halt. We sat in silence not knowing what to do. Xavier was the first to move as he stepped out of the car and took his shades off and stared at the now burning warehouse.

I opened the door, my eyes widening in fear.

No.

He can't be dead.

I refuse to believe that he's gone.

After a few minutes Xavier rested his head down, in regret and sadness.

"Rest in peace, brother" Xavier mumbled placing his hand over his heart.

××

So what do you think about poor Damien? Warned you it was going to be sad ;)

Also I will be changing my story description as getting kidnapped isn't really on there.

Updating in two more weeks
Remember to comment and vote
~ Ashley