Chapter 6 || Like Magic

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2012 Easton

"Dude, come on," Lance called me over. It's half time of senior night at Mills High School and being one of the Varsity Senior Captains it's kind of a big deal for me. We are currently up by 10, so things are looking good!

"What? " I ask him. We need to be with the rest of the team it's mandatory, but I know coach won't be too hard on us if we're a little late.

"Just come on, we have something for you in honor of our senior year!" He sounds excited, so I follow him to the back of the school. I can make out some of the shapes in the dark. It looks like Derek, Austin, and Teddy some other varsity seniors, but something else seems to be with them. We have to get a little closer before I make out the mysterious figure as Pat the Panther. We're playing them tonight. How did they get the mascot? Why did they get the mascot? These guys, I'm not gonna lie, are stupid. They believe in the stereotypical high school experience.

"We got him, after all, these years we finally got the mascot!" Derek yelled into the darkness. Teddy and Austin's chest bumped.

"Is someone in there?" I ask. The suit looks a little limp, which worries me.

"I think so, but who ever it is won't talk. We wanted to wait until the captain got here to de-mask it," Austin said, poking the head. Okay, think fast, I thought to myself.

"Cool thanks, guys, but coach says we need to get back, so how about I take care of it, while you go back, so you guys don't get heat for this," they look nervous and a little anxious, but they agree.

"Thanks, man, you sure," Teddy, who tends to be more of a follower, said handing me some rope. What the hell were these morons planning?

"Yeah, of course. Now get out of here before he gets suspicious and we all have to take some heat." They agree and leave. As soon as they are all gone I run over to the mascot only to hear a small voice.

"Are they gone?" I know that voice. No. It can't be. I help her take off the head of the suit and there she is, Lacey.

"Lacey," I say in shock.

"Hey, Easton, I bet you never thought we'd met again like this, uh," she said, pointing to the suit. It's a little funny seeing her delicate face surrounded by a huge black body of fur. Focusing more on her, she looks cute with her hair in a messy braid, a few strands coming loose, and her cheeks are as red as the last time I saw her. I've been searching for her at all of the games, but I never thought to look in the mascot suit.

"You okay?" I ask because that would have shaken up anybody.

"Yeah, I'm okay, just a little lost. I would have made a run for it, but I couldn't tell where I was because they picked me up. Then, I didn't want to take off the head because I don't trust them..." she was rambling. Is this a stage in shock or something?

"Lacey," I said her name and repeated it until she looked up at me with her forest green eyes.

"Sorry, yes I'm okay, thanks to you. Thanks for that," she said her voice filled with emotion. The longer I look at her the angrier I get at those morons.

"No, I'm sorry for them, they're so dumb sometimes, they give football players a bad name," she laughed a little then sighed. "So um...you're the mascot," I told her.

"Yep and you're the captain of the football team," she said, shaking her head.

"What a pair we make," I commented, taking a seat next to her.

"So do I need to stay here a little longer, so you don't lose face in front of your team?" She would ask that, I thought, shaking my head.

"Nuh, I'll just tell them I'm a crap job when it comes to knots and my friend from middle school wasn't there to fix it for me," she laughed at the reference.

"Well, then all this drama makes me hungry you want to get something to eat after the game?" she asked.

"That'd be awesome, as long as you don't mind eating with the captain of the team that's about to demolish your Panthers."

"I think I can let it slid just this once," she said, picking up the head and securing it on her head. As if by magic she turned into the Pat. She began walking back to the filed, but before leaving me she wiggled her tail and I laughed. A real laugh, which is something I haven't done since a couple months ago when I came home to find my Mom and some other guy together in the living room in a compromising position.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2012 Lacey

"And the Scotties win the game," I hear, blaring from the loudspeakers. We lost by one touchdown. I feel bad for my team, but when I look out to the visitor's side I can't help the smile that spreads across my face. Easton is being lifted on the shoulders of one of his teammates. His blue eyes filled with happiness.

"Lace, we just lost why are you smiling like that?" Lee says. We are currently sitting in the back of Mrs. Walker's pickup truck. I'm waiting to one cool off and to the crowd to die down because not only am I sweaty, but my face is bright red. Lee just finished putting away the suit and is waiting for his ride.

"I know. I know. It's just I--um." What the heck am I suppose to say? That I am smiling because this guy I haven't talked to in years is going to get something to eat with me after. Oh and he just so happens to be the quarterback for the team that just beat our team. Yeah. Can you say no!

"Hold up. Is that blush I see on your cheeks?" Great. After being friends for so long it's kind of easy to tell when someone is red from something other than heat. Of course, upon having him point it out I would just blush harder. "Awe, okay. What's going on Lace? I haven't seen you act this weird since you tripped walking up stairs from looking at Jared." I smacked him in the stomach for that one.

"You promised never to talk about it again and it wasn't because of him I was having some difficulty double tasking."

"Yeah, gawking and walking can be very difficult," he laughed, holding his stomach.

"Will you just shut up," I fumed.

"Okay, I'm done. Now, who is he?"

"You don't really know him," I said, trying to avoid the question.

"So it is a he and I kind of know him? Okay. Spill. Now!"

"I'm might be getting a bite to get with a friend from the past tonight," I said, that sounds right. I'm mean to know need to get his or my hopes up by saying Easton is any more or any less than a friend.

"Well, I am really happy for you. Let me know as soon as you are ready to say the mystery guys name."

"So you can interrogate him?"

"Of course that's what best friends are for. Don't you remember what you said to Jennifer when we first started dating," he said, giving me a pointed look.

"You're right, like always," I said rolling my eyes. Just then his phone vibrated.

"Well, my rides here. Have a fun, but not too much fun, little missy," he said giving me a quick side hug before jumping off the back and heading into the crowd.

I took my towel and lay back, closing my eyes for a few minutes before I heard my little minion ringtone indicating a text.

Hey, Pat, it's the quarterback that pummeled your team (sorry). Are you coming or do I have to go find you?

Like magic, a small smile played on my lips as I text back.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *