prologue

Running

I couldn't stop. He told me to run,  to never look back and to never tell anyone of what i had seen.

My eyes were wet with tears because my father had sacrificed his life to save me.

I had lost the rouges long ago but i couldn't stop running.

The only thing i could hear were my black boots crushing the Autumn  leaves on the ground and my silent sobs.

I had been out hunting with my dad and my ten year old mind had well before understood what we hunted and why we hunted.

Our mission was to kill a rouge alpha that had been attacking people by the highway. Seven presumed dead and three missing.

It was a stealth mission.

Unfortunately my father's Intelligence Director had failed to mention that he had other rouge wolves with him and had been told of our arrival.

It was an ambush.

Half a dozen wolfs had attacked us and because i was small i couldn't protect myself so my father had to. 

While my father was fighting five of them off i had backed in to a tree, terrified of getting killed. The rouge Alpha had been watching the scene from a distance but when he saw me on the tree he ran in his werewolf speed, shifted in mid jump and tried to plunge his razor sharp claws into my chest and rip me to shreds but my father had seen what he was about to do and dove into his way. When i saw the Alpha's claws protruding from my father's back, i knew immediately that he was going to die.

He slowly turned his head to face me. I could see the mounds of effort it took him to do such a simple act and with pain clear in his brown eyes, he said in a worn rough voice, " I love you. Remember your promise. Now Run Ella, run and don't look back."