31: Cupcakes, Kisses, & Harry Styles

Start from the beginning

I manage to open up my muffin. I smile to myself, feeling accomplished. Taking my first bite out of the muffin, I lean back in my seat. It tasted surprisingly good.

"How's the movie coming along?" Mum decides to ask.

"Brilliant." I tell her, taking a sip of my chocolate milk. "Harry's actually playing in the movie too."

"Oh, really?" Mum questions. "Is that how you two met?"

I open my mouth respond, a blush creeping up on my cheeks. "It's kind of a long story."

"I have time." Mum offers, but I quickly shake my head.

"I'll tell you." I promise. "Just not now; I really want to check up on Dad."

Mum nods in understanding. "Go ahead up. Take your muffin."

"Love you." I smile, taking the milk and muffin before exiting the cafeteria. On my way to Dad's room I snack on the muffin in hopes of finishing it. When I approach his door, I toss the last bit into my mouth before stepping inside.

"Amber," My Dad's groggy voice says right away. Smiling, I hurry and take the seat beside him.

"Morning, Daddy." I chirp, glad to be able to say those two words.

"Good morning," He smiles back. "And happy birthday, Princess." My smile widens and my cheeks become crimson. He hasn't called me Princess in years. I used to hate it when he called me that. I never straight up told him though, but he knew it embarrassed me. It was different now. Hearing him call me Princess brought back so many memories I didn't to let go of. I'm lucky to have him as my father. He was always to chill. He never yelled at me and when he did, it's because I severely disobeyed him. Otherwise, he would never yell at me at all. We had so much fun together. I want things to be the way they used too. My Dad was my best friend.

"Thanks, Dad."

He reaches over and takes my hand. "I still can't believe it." His eyes scan up and down my body. "It's like a dream."

"Such a vivid dream," I whisper. He smiles.

All of the sudden a knock on the door startles us both. I look back wondering who it could possibly be. Maybe it was Mum.

"Ah, that should be the nurse." Dad props himself up into a sitting position before I have a chance of offering him help, "Come in."

As told, the door opens in the nurse walks in. She’s everything you’d expect a nurse to be: average height, brown hair pulled back into a ponytail, and a nurse’s uniform. She was smiling, holding up an object in her hands.

“Your order is ready, Mr. Skywood.” She tells my dad, walking over to me instead. She holds out her hands. “Happy birthday,” My lips form a small ‘o’. In her hands was a small cupcake with a single candle. It was nothing big, yet it felt like everything.

“Dad, you didn’t have too.” I find myself saying, surprised that somehow between last night and this morning he had requested a cupcake for my birthday.

“Yes, I did.” He points out. “I told you I wanted to make up for all the years I missed.” The nurse places the cupcake in my hands and digs out a lighter. She flips it on and lights the candle, smiling the entire time. Before she can turn around and leave, my dad stops her.

“Please, Miss.” He says. “Stay.” That was my dad; always kind to others.

“Thank you.” The nurse smiles sweetly, stepping back.

“Ok,” Dad claps his hands together. “You ready?”

“Ready for what?” I question with a confused expression falling on my face.