21: Realization, Emma, & Harry Styles

-Amber-

Harry and I got back from the boardwalk around nine. Time had flown by so quickly that I found myself wishing it never ended. The walk back wasn’t even painful. Harry and I engaged in different conversations about the X Factor, crazy fan experiences, and whatnot. I’ve begun to enjoy spending time with him. I don’t know what it was, so I had started to think about all the different maybes. Maybe it was his emerald eyes; the way they shined and looked at me. Maybe it was his dimples, so deep when he smiled, making him look like a child. Or maybe it was his curls, the way they were hidden beneath his beanie today, only a few sticking out here and there. Overall, I haven’t figured out why I like spending time with Harry or why I was disappointed we didn’t kiss earlier. I wasn’t supposed to be disappointed. I was supposed to be glad... but I wasn’t.

When we stepped into the beach house, Danielle and the lads were sitting on and around the couch, listening to something Louis was saying. By the way Niall was trying hard to control his laughter, I knew it must be something funny. The minute Haz and I walked in, all eyes turned to us.

“There you two are.” Louis speaks first. “Didn’t know you’d be out so late.”

“How was the boardwalk?” Niall jumps in. “Did you bring me back some cotton candy?”

“Amber ate it all.” Harry chuckles, his eyes flickering over to me. He smiles just before looking away. I roll my eyes, holding onto the stuffed kitten Harry had won earlier.

“Oooo!” Danielle gushes, jumping up from her spot beside Liam. “Is that a kitty?!”

“Yeah,” I bite my lips as she runs over to me, her eyes scanning over the plush toy. “Harry won it.”

“And he gave it to you?” Danielle winks at Harry, reaching to nudge his shoulder. “How lovely of him!” All Harry does is smirk.

“Ride any rollercoasters, Hazza?” Liam jokes, wiggling his eyebrows at the younger boy. Harry narrows his eyes.

“Use any spoons today, Liam?” He shoots back. Liam frowns and Niall throws his head back, his Irish laughter echoing throughout the house.

“Had fun?” Zayn blurts, smiling a bit in my direction. I smile back, strolling over and taking a seat between him and Louis.

“Very much.” I admit, setting the kitten down on my lap.

“Brilliant.” Zayn says, leaning on the couch’s arm. Danielle hops over and falls onto Liam’s lap, grinning back at me.

“What did you name it?” She questions. “The kitty, I mean.” I purse my lips, looking down at the cat. What do I name it? It’s just a stuffed animal; naming it wasn’t exactly something I’d thought of. But now that Danielle mentions it, what should I name it?

“Name it Kevin.” Louis says right away, not bothering to think of another name. Everyone laughs but disagrees. I look over at Harry. He’s standing by the staircase now, his eyes staring intently at me. I chew on my bottom lip, awkwardly looking away.

“I think...” I give Harry another quick glance. “I think I’ll name it Haz.” Everyone goes quite. A smile slips onto Danielle’s face and Liam’s looking at me suspiciously. While Zayn and Niall’s expressions mirror Liam’s, Louis is just staring at Harry with the stupidest grin on his face. And when I look at Harry, my heart literally stops. He’s staring at the ground, the cutest, lopsided smile on his face revealing both of his dimples. I look away, fiddling with the kitten in my hands.

“So,” Niall breaks the sudden silence. “Who’s hungry?” Everyone turns to look at him, all eyebrows raised. No one was hungry. At least, I knew I wasn’t. Not after all that food I had at the boardwalk. I ate enough cotton candy to last me a lifetime.