06. finding jasper

Start from the beginning

"They took him." Clarke responded with a defeated sigh. 

That was the last thing that any of us wanted to believe.

-----

"We have to be getting close." Clarke promised as we trekked back to the camp. After realizing that Jasper was taken we knew we had to get back to camp as soon as possible. The more people we had helping us, the less chance who, or whatever these things are, would come after all of us. 

I walked beside Monty who was looking down at his feet in sorrow. I couldn't imagine how he felt losing his best friend on day two in our new home.  "We'll find him." I comforted, grabbing his hand and giving it a light squeeze.

Monty gave me a sad smile, "He just had to show off and go first didn't he?"

As the words left his mouth, something clicked in my mind that made my heart clench.  Finn was supposed to go first, but Jasper jumped in. That would have been my brother laying on the other side of the river with a spear sticking out of his chest.

A wave of sadness washed over me as I looked over at my brother who was walking ahead of us with Clarke. I didn't know what I would do if I lost him. I wasn't sure I could even handle the thought. 

"Do you hear that?" Clarke asked, causing all of us to stop and listen. A loud commotion could be heard coming from where we had left the rest of the group at the DropShip. 

The group of us took off running without even so much as a discussion. We had been gone for a day, how could things have already gone so wrong? If I could hedge my bet, I was guessing that pale face Murphy kid was at the root of the problem. 

Clarke and Finn were first to the camp, Monty and I followed behind with Octavia in between us, her arms draped around our shoulders. I shifted Octavia's weight slightly as we neared the centre of camp. 

Once close enough, I could see that my guess was correct. Wells and Murphy were at each other's throats—literally— Wells had a knife held to Murphy's throat. 

"Wells!" Clarke shouted, "What are you doing? Let him go!"

At Clarke's demand Wells let Murphy go, shoving him hard to the ground, which inevitably pissed Murphy off. In seconds, he was back to his meet, lunging at Wells. 

"Hey!" Bellamy shouted, finally deciding to do something as he stepped in between the two, "Murphy! No!"

Murphy adhered to Bellamy's demands, shooting Wells one final glare before backing off. With a small smirk on his face, Bellamy turned to the group of us who had just arrived. 

The smirk instantly fell when he noticed his sister standing in between Monty and I. "O!" He gasped, taking her from us before leading her to sit down on a nearby rock. "Are you okay?"

Octavia grunted as she slowly lowered herself into a seated position. "Yeah. Great, actually."

Upon receiving the validation that his sister was okay, Bellamy turned to the rest of us, "Where's the food?"

The five of us exchanged a look, "We didn't make it to Mount Weather." Finn explained, his voice showing his exhaustion.

"What the hell happened out there?" Bellamy demanded as nervous chatter began to flutter around the group. 

"We were attacked." Clarke answered, a nervous tone to her voice.

Wells furrowed his brow. "Attacked? By what?"

"Not what" Finn started, "Who. Turns out when the last guy from the ground died on the Ark, he wasn't the last Grounder."

More quiet mutters began circulating around the camp, everyone turned to the person beside them with a mix of worry and confusion on their faces.