One Tries To Fly Away || 2

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
A/N: Sorry about the hold-up, but I've been a little busy. My device stopped working and the wifi glitched out. But now, I'm finally updating this! Yaaaaaay!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
[Thats your friend Tessa in the picture. Hope you like her!]
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Downtown Apartments
CORY'S POV
~ ~ ~ ~ ~

   "Hey Cory!" Nick greets from behind me. I jump from the unexpectedness.

   "Nick! You scared the living daylights out of me!" I snap angrily. I was wearing a white apron and chef's hat. Why, you mask? I was making cookies using a recipe that was passed down in my family for generations. You could say I'm obsessed.

   "Sorry man, but we have some new neighbors! They moved in just yesterday!" He explains excitedly.

   "Can't you see I'm making cookies right now?" Okay, maybe I am a bit obsessed. Or actually a lot. But I like to call it devoted, dedicated, you know?

   "Well yeah, but . . . I thought it would be polite if we did it. Make new friends, you know?" Nick tries to reason. I scoff without even realizing it.

   "The city is filled with very interesting characters Nick." I remind him. I've lived in the city my whole life, meeting plenty of people. So I know the lifestyle that should be used here, and greeting new neighbors might not be the brightest idea.

   "Yeah, I mean, I know that but, wouldn't that be kind of rude? We might make a new friend." He argues, looking at the bright side. I frown, mixing the batter with a spoon.

   "What if they're really weird though? Like some guys that are part of a notorious gang or something? Or some girls obsessed with their looks?" I say, fearing the worst. It was my friend's turn to scoff.

   "Because I don't have a friend like that . . ." Nick mumbles, though I was able to catch that.

   "I have ears you know." I state, cutting putting some chocolate chips in the batter.

   "You don't have eyes." He says. That made me chuckle.

   "Ooh, shots fired." I say sarcastically. Nick rolls his eyes, mumbling some incoherent words under his breath.

   "Please Cory? What if they're as good a baker as you? Maybe they're like a retired celebrity, or maybe a scientist of some sort?" He tells me eagerly. I sigh, growing tired of the conversation.

   "You aren't gonna stop unless I agree, are you." It was more of a statement than a question. Nick put a victorious grin on his face.

   "Nope!" Well this ought to be interesting. There was a long moment of silence as I cut shapes out of the raw dough, put them on a tray, and sticking them in the oven. I punched in the amount of time I wanted them to bake.

   "Is that a yeeeeeeeess?" Nick asks, partially confused. I sighed one more time.

   "Well, what are you waiting for? Let's go."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

   I knocked on the door, suddenly regretting the choice I made even more. What if I make a bad impression? Or what if they are really sketchy? And Nick's just hopping excitedly beside me! Uuugh. . .

The door opened up to a girl with H/C hair, a black and white striped shirt, and short, light blue overalls. She squeaked, jumping up in surprise.

"Uh, um, I-we weren't e-expecting a-a-any v-visitors!" She stutters shyly. Socially awkward probably.

"Well, we heard that there were some newbies in here, and wanted to greet them!" Or at least, you do, Nick. I was, to my own disappointment, holding a jar of my super-special chocolate chip cookies to give to them.

"W-w-well, c-come on in? I-if you want, that is . . ." The girl opened the door just enough for us to walk through.

"No no, I think we're g—" Nick cut me off. Typical Nick.

"We'd absolutely love to come in, thank you! Now, what's your name?" He asks, pulling me inside. Oh no oh no oh no.

   "Nick!" I hiss, soft enough so only he could hear. "What are you doing?"

   "Being polite! That's what!" He replies, hissing back at me. I look back at the newcomer. She was quietly closing her door and checking the time on her analog clock, high up on the wall.

   "O-oh! W-where a-a-are my manners?! I-I'm Y/N! Y-Y/N L/N!" She says, putting on a big, slightly uncomfortable smile.

   "I'm Nick! And this is my good friend and roommate, Cory!" Nick introduces us. She puts a look of recognition on her face.

   "Ooh, you two are the ones that Uni warned about!" Y/N blurts. I spin to face her.

   "What'd he say about us?" I demand, trying not to sound mad. What? I didn't want to scare her!

   "O-oh, he just said you w-were loud, and r-rather l-large t-trouble m-makers?" She shrugged, turning towards the kitchen.

   "Y-you guys w-want a-anything?" Y/N asks us. Maybe she wouldn't be such a bad neighbor after all!