Chapter 4

"No way... It has been a hundred years since a titan was sighted within the Wall. Is this a joke?" Someone said.

"A 50m-class titan was sighted and destroyed the gate but disappeared almost immediately! The titans are swarming in the district as we speak!" The messenger continued, "Requesting reinforcements!"

"Aura... Shiganshina is..." Ellie slowly said. Her voice filled with fear and anxiety. Her face turned pale.

Aura was shocked as well but stayed collected. Panic would not solve anything. She learnt that long ago. Stay calm and act with clear mind. That was what her father always said to her. "Let's go, Ellie." Aura started moving to the stable and grabbed  a horse. Ellie, despite still panic, followed.

"Cadet Noir! Cadet Barret! Where are you going?!" one of the instructors shouted as he spotted them galloping away.

"Our family is there! We are not going to stay here doing nothing!!" Ellie shouted while Aura kept on moving forward. Upon hearing Ellie's reply, their friends also scrambled to get their horses and followed, ignoring their superiors' orders.

Shiganshina was the outer city of Wall Maria. Even if it was breached, if the titans never reached Wall Maria gate, most of the humankind would still be safe. From their training camp to Shiganshina, they needed around an hour horse ride if they kept going non-stop. Everyone was silent throughout the whole journey.

"Mom... Anna... Allen... Stay safe." Aura silently prayed.

After a long ride, Wall Maria was sighted. People were pouring out from the gate that led to Shiganshina. People were rushing to go on the boat that will lead them via the river to Wall Rose. Most of the boats were already overflowed. In one glance, Aura could not find either of her family members. Yet, she saw her brother, Allen, stationed near the boat to ensure smooth evacuation, though it clearly impossible to do with all the humans. Aura jumped down from the horse as it could not go any further with all the crowds. The other trainees followed.

"Guys, go over the Wall and assess the situation! I will join you guys in a while!" Aura commanded. The others nodded and use the 3DMG to climb to the top of Wall Maria. Ellie followed Aura as she spotted Allen as well. They used their 3DMG to cross over the sea of humans towards the edge of river.

"Allen!" Aura shouted as she landed together with Ellie. Her brother looked over and was surprised to see her here.

"Aura! Ellie! What are you doing here?!" He asked concerned.

"Never mind that! Where are Mom and Anna?! Or Ellie's family?!" Aura added.

"I didn't see them! I couldn't go with all these people here!"

Aura wasted no time to ask further. She and Ellie headed over to the top of Wall Maria to join the other trainees. They looked over the district with fear. The titans were swarming in one by one from outside the Wall. Fire broke out from every corner of Shiganshina. Houses were destroyed. People were still running for their dear lives. Blood were splattered everywhere. It was exactly like beasts were let loose inside the cage of preys. Aura finally understood clearly what her father experienced.

"Everyone." Aura started, making everyone turned their eyes to her. She looked at each of them now. There were 7 of them, including herself and Ellie. Terry, Gale, Rose, Shelia, and Cheryl. Aura continued, "This is the real thing... We might die. I won't force you to come with me. After all, only me and Ellie are from this district. No reason for all of you to risk your lives."

"Let me correct something. I am also from Shiganshina." Cheryl said, "That is why I will come with you."

"Despite not from here, we are soldiers and your comrades. We want to help." Gale added, earning nods of agreement from the others. Only one did not. It was Shelia. She was trembling and crying in fear with the bloody scene in front of her.