Rule #4: Date Night (Part One)

Start from the beginning

I found the little bit of crockery I had brought when I came and Audrey when she arrived last week, and took down a cup from one of the clear cupboards mounted on the pale yellow walls. Setting up the coffee maker, I stood there, tapping my fingers against the granite countertop. Hearing movement in the hall, I stuck my head out into the hallway, “Audrey? Where are you going?”

She was heading to her room but stopped when she heard my voice. “I’m going to my room, dad.

I ignored her jibe and pulled another cup out before calling out to her again. “Do you want some coffee, too?”

“No, I’m going out with someone tonight. We might get some coffee later.”

My hand stilled as it reached for the sugar. “Oh?” I said casually, stirring my lone cup of coffee. Turning the kitchen lights off, I followed Audrey into her room. Wow, this is one hell of a redecoration, I admitted grudgingly.

While both of our rooms were plain white, Audrey had put a soft purple and cream theme around the room, from the duvet covers, pillows, curtains and rugs to the cream furniture. She had matched everything perfectly.

“Nice room,” I commented, gingerly sitting down on her bed, making sure not to soak anything too much. Warming my hands with my cup, I watched as Audrey combed out her hair and began reapplying her light makeup.

“Thanks,” she said, rubbing some lotion over her hands. “Have you seen your room yet?”

I shook my head, knowing she caught my motion in the mirror. “Nah. I always end up knocking out in the living room after university.”

She made a non-committal noise, and silence ensued, only interrupted by the ticking of the clock on her wall. Glancing at it, I saw that it was almost nine o’clock. “It’s pretty late, Auds. Are you sure it’s safe to go out tonight?” I asked worriedly.

She didn’t turn around, answering as she replaced her regular earrings with her more sparkly dangly ones. “He’s coming to pick me up, and he’ll drop me off as well, so I think I’ll be fine.”

He?” I sat up straight, forgetting my wet state. “You’re going out on a, on a date?”

She looked at me then, and I couldn’t tell what emotion she had in her eyes. “I thought I mentioned a guy had picked me up at the mall? And yes, Adam, I’m going out on a date.”

“But… with who?” This was rusty territory for me. Audrey hadn’t dated since eleventh grade. It’s been more than three years. Why now? I had a niggling doubt that I knew, but I didn’t like it.

“Cody DeVito. Remember him?”

The sinking feeling grew. “Isn’t he the guy you dated back in our junior year of high school?”

Audrey nodded, beaming. Her genuine smile squeezed something inside me painfully. Oh, right, I was happy for her. Right. Yep.

“He’s the only guy I ever dated, Finch,” she said, rolling her eyes. That one movement made the squeezing more painful. Gosh, why I being so happy for her?

She came to me and held two dresses in her hands. “Which one should I wear? The straight red one or the blue one with the ruffled bodice?” she asked, biting her lip nervously.

“What’s a bodice?”

Another eyeroll. “The top part, silly.”

I leaned back to see her excited face clearer and frowned. “A dress? Wasn’t this just coffee? Where are you going? Why can’t you just wear jeans?”