Chapter 1: Twins

CHAPTER 1

TWINS

JULI POV

I made a fist as he whispered again. The place was pitch dark like it always was and I couldn't see my hand in front of my face.  

"Juliana, I'm coming for you. I'll get you sooner or later. When I do..." He let the sentence trail off as I struck out blindly. I stumbled and arms reached to wrap around me. I screamed and threw my head back, connecting with his jaw. He grunted but didn't let me go. I shuddered as his tongue slid up my neck.  

'Gabe', I called my brother's name telepathically as he leaned forward to whisper in my ear. 

"That's cheating Juliana." Suddenly light flooded the room as singing voices filled the air singing 'You are My Sunshine'. He screamed and let go of me as five people appeared around me. I didn't bother to turn around, he was always gone when the light came.

**********

I woke from the nightmare to frantic whispers in my ear. Struggling to a sitting position I rubbed my eyes and turned on the light beside my bed. Pushing blonde hair from my face I raised my hands for silence. 

"Guys be quiet. We don't want to wake mom and the others." My twin Gabe rolled his eyes and looked sidelong at me. 

"You know she already..." My door flew open as Gabe gestured. My Mom and Dad framed the doorway with looks of concern on their faces. Shaking my head I gave up. 

"Fine. Family meeting in the living room. No need to crowd beside my bed. I'm not dieing." Mom smiled as Dad spoke up. 

"I'll make coffee sweetie." Throwing on my skull slippers I stood up. 

"Okay Daddy lets go." Linking my arm through his I linked the other through my Mom's as we headed downstairs. After Dad passed out coffee I told all of them what had happened in my nightmare. Mom was pale by the end while Dad whispered softly in her ear. Looking at me Mom spoke. 

"I'm sorry honey. It could be anything." Twenty years ago Mom had found out she was the chosen one. She had stopped the apocalypse but not before demons had overridden the world. It wasn't even til later they'd realized that their powers had slowed down the aging process. My Mom looked like my sister. Anyway, her, Asa and Diana had found out they were pregnant. So they'd come here to have us. Then while we grew up a normal life they had kept going out to rid the world of evil while we had learned to hone our powers. In two days it was our eighteenth birthday and we would take over. Three set of twins destined to finally send all the evil where it belonged. Oh, we were all born on the same day. And Dad and Joey, Asa's husband had been there as well. So stuff haunting me, it was weird but sadly normal. This had felt different though, these past two times, they'd felt personal, like he knew me. Coming back to the present I tried to lighten the mood. 

"Guess what song they sang to bring the light." Everyone looked at me as I grinned. 

"' You Are My Sunshine'" Suddenly laughter filled the room as Gabe sputtered and blushed crimson. 

"It was the happiest song I could think of at the time."  

"So can we have Mickey Mouse pancakes since we're up. I'm starved" Everyone laughed again as I pouted and crossed my arms. "Just because I'm a bottomless pit doesn't mean everyone else isn't as well. We filed in the kitchen while Mom and Dad hung back. Trying to give Dad time to calm Mom down I rushed into the kitchen letting the door swing shut behind me.

..........

After breakfast everyone got dressed then went outside to goof around before classes started. Lucky us, there was still school. I wandered around not feeling like doing anything in particular. Annie was upside down in a tree when I stopped to talk to her. She swung down, pushing her twilight colored hair back as she spoke.