Chapter 19

Im doing it again sorry. I added another chapter in between and I need to put it riiiiight here. 

So, sorry if I confuse you.

**Serena's POV*

“Hey, Serena!” It was a week after seeing Cory in the halls and nothing interesting had happened. I had finally seemed to get used to the absurd classes, getting better at the combat and knowing what potion consisted what. Chatting between periods with Mason, Ella, Robin and sometimes Gryphon was a regular now. It was lunch now, and I was putting away my books as Mason came over.

“Hey!” I grin. He was probably the goofiest out of the 5 of us and almost always had a smirk on his face. Although today, he still had a smile, yet it was a little nervous and uncertain. “Shouldn't you be at detention right now?”

He laughs and shakes his head. “No, I asked Mrs. Oceano if I could do it tomorrow.” He slowly brings his hands up and takes mine. “So, um...” Glancing around the crowded hallway, he gives me a yank. “Could you come with me for a second?”

My eyebrows furrow in confusion. Usually Mason was out-front and loved to cause commotion in packed public places. He didn’t look guilty, like someone would if they cheated on a test, but he looked almost, careful as if with a simple word he would be pushed aside. “Uh... sure?” I reply questionably.

He gives me a small smile before bringing me down the hall, weaving me through everybody and moving us towards an empty classroom. Softly, he pulls me in and gently shuts the door. It wasn’t until I heard the click of the lock that I began to get anxious. My posture was tense and I couldn’t help myself from backing away from Mason.

“Mason seriously why did you bring me here?” I squeak, trying desperately to claw my way out of his arms. I am finally able to step back, only to have Mason grab my thin wrists. I look up, to find that our faces are close, a little too close. His nose is almost touching mine and I can feel his hot breath on my cheeks.

“Serena, I really like you. I think you're amazing and I cant seem to stop thinking about you. So, will you go out on a date with me?”

I open my mouth to answer, when he puts his mouth on mine, shoving his tongue down my throat. I hated it immediately. I hated the sloppiness and out wet it was. It was discussing. I try desperately to pull away, but him placing his hands on waist forced me to stay in place.

As if on reflex, my hand shoots out and slaps him. It wasn’t a hard slap, but surprising enough to make him let go, because promptly after, his mouth darts back and he stands up, looking almost appalled at what I did.

“What the hell!” I seethe. Anger fueled through me, driving me to lift my hand again to inflict pain. Before I can, the shock disperses from his face and his fingers snap out and grasp mine.

“What?” He asks, his eyes wide and faking innocence. I forcefully rip my hands out of his, pushing him away from me.

“Don’t you think you should wait for my answer before you kiss me!” I scream, giving him my worst glare I could give him. “Don’t you think you should wait and see if I actually like you before forcing me to kiss you!”

“But you do! I know you do! You always hold my hand and sit next to me-”

“News flash,” I snarl, “this isnt 4th grade. I was being nice. Yeah, youre funny and kind, and I may have even gone out with you, if you hadn’t kissed me without my yes!”

“Serena no, I really thought...”

I sigh tiredly, like a mother who was too exhausted to chase after her kids. “Mason, I’m sorry ok? I just don’t feel that way. I just got here and I-I cant get into a relationship. I’m sorry.” I whisper again, looking at the ground.

“What they say about you is true, you are a bitch.” he spits. I quickly glance up to see his eyes narrowed into slits, the anger and pain. “You, with your famous dad and mom and being able to control water, are just here to get what you want. You have to get what you want.”

“Mason!” I shout incredously. “Are you insane? You know that is not the case! I didnt even know anything about my dad before two weeks ago. You know that my life was the worst before you came here! You know very well that I don’t want my dad to be famous, I don’t want to be famous, I didnt want my own element! All I want is to fit in!”

“How do I know if youre lying? How do we know that you have never met your dad? How do we know if you learned of your element before and just came here to be popular and famous?”

“Mason, stop letting people control what you think of me. I don’t want this to affect our friendship.” I shake my head, a frightened look etched on my face.

“But how do I know? How do we all know?” His voice takes on a deadly tone, slicing me like a knife.

“Dont you think, if I somehow knew who my dad was, or learned my element before, I wouldn’t have let myself be beaten by my classmates? By my stepdad? Don’t you think I would actually protect myself from them?” I whisper. My eyes were squessed tight, as I felt the prick of tears. “No, I admit, you don’t know a whole lot about me. But do you know that I still flinch when someone touches me? Do you know that I stay on my previous curfew, because I’m afraid that if I’m awake past then, my stepdad will come and hurt me? Do you know that I am slowly losing control on my life? No, you don’t, yet you still judged me on what petty people said. So, just stay away from me.” The tears where flowing softly down my face as I just revealed most of my secrets to someone who just called me a bitch. I’m quick to wipe them away, but more come, blurring my vision.

Mason just stood there, his face a blank canvas of emotion. I couldn’t tell whether he was shocked, or still angry. But once he notices my trembling form, his expression morphs into a mix of guilt and realization.

“Oh my God, Serena-”

“No,” I stand up straight, wiping my eyes once more. If I was going to do this, I was doing it strong. “I told you to leave me alone. You couldn’t trust me and I couldn’t trust you. Bye.” I don’t wave, I don’t smile. All I do is move towards the door in despair. I had just lost my friend, and I was pretty sure it would be happening more and more.