21- Alex

We were back on the beach, sitting at opposite ends, backs against the rocks. My mind was whirling, plotting, planning. Luke was silent, too. I couldn't tell what was on his mind. He cleaned out my wound one more time before we ended up here, putting on the last bit of fresh gauze after making sure the stitches were still intact.

The expression on his face when he did it was burned into my brain. I didn't have a good view without a mirror. He did. I'm sure it looked ugly as hell. It hurt like it did. Luke felt my forehead again and made another twisted face.

That good, huh?

Luke's shirt came off when the sun was at its peak. I explored the muscles with my eyes again, wondering what it would be like to touch them, to kiss them. I blinked in surprise at the thought. Obviously, I was sexually attracted to him. I had known that the first moment I saw him.

It wasn't until then that I realized what I should do.

By the time night came around, the heat on my face was caused by another reason entirely. The air cooled as the moon rose above the ocean, illuminating bits of the ocean in front of us. I stared at Luke, at the ridges of his face, the stubble on his chin, the compassion in his demeanor. He was worried about me.

"How are you feeling?" He asked when he noticed my stare.

"Ok. Kinda cold, actually."

"Want me to come over?"

I hesitated enough to make it look like I didn't want him to. Like it wasn't part of my plan. "Sure."

Luke stood up, rubbing his hands together to get the sand off. He kept his eyes on mine as I stood up, too. I didn't see any suspicion but that didn't mean it wasn't there.

"Wait." I met him in the middle. Standing in front of him, I shot him a smile before wrapping my arms around him. Luke accepted the hug after a moment's hesitation. His hands splayed out on my back, he leaned his head down into the crook of my shoulder. We stayed like that for a moment in silence before Luke spoke.

"What's this for?" His voice was a whisper in my ear.

I pulled away but only enough to look at him. We were still pressed together. Still holding onto each other. "For saving me."

Luke looked confused. Maybe he didn't buy it. I had told him I didn't trust him just this morning.

"Really?"

"Yeah." I looked at his lips as my heart threatened to accelerate past 100 beats per minute. I kept my gaze there for a minute before staring into his eyes. His eyebrows were furrowed together. He still wasn't buying it.

Yet, he didn't make any move to increase the distance between us. When his eyes glanced down at my lips, I knew it would work.

Standing on my tip toes, I closed the last remaining distance. Pulling his head down, I kissed him with enough passion that any suspicion he might have was wiped away. He held me tight, careful of my injury, keeping his hands on my back to press me up against him. We skipped the chaste part, moving right into full on makeout, tongues flicking against each other, our breathing hot and fast. I broke it only to tell him to lay down on the sand. He obliged.

Then I was on top of him, knees on either side of his stomach, my pelvis pressing against the bulge in his pants. He was hard already, and I grinded against it. His hands were still tame, sticking to my back, my face, my waist. The kisses were raw, carnal, passionate. Full of more emotion than I'd ever experienced before. My hair was swept to one side, creating a curtain that blocked out the moonlit sky. I trailed my hand down his arm slowly, enjoying the hard ridges before making my way to his abs.

Then I wrapped my fingers around the handle of my blade that had been safely sheathed to the back of my waistband. I had the knife pressed against his neck in less than a second, breaking up the kiss.

Luke's hands went above his head. He made no move to fight me. All I saw in his eyes was shock mixed with a little bit of pain. "What are you doing?"

"Give me the phone."

He let out a sad sigh. "Don't do this."

"Give me the phone." I put more pressure on the knife. Enough that a trickle of blood ran from the tiny cut and onto the blade.

Luke swallowed. He reached down into his pocket and pulled out the device. After unlocking it, he handed it to me. I put the knife away and grabbed it before jumping off of him. I looked through the messages as he sat up, watching me as I stood five feet away.

I found the number he called pretty easily. It was the only one in the call log. When I discovered there had been text messages to that number as well, I searched through them. The most recent ones were simple updates. Things like 'we made it to the beach' and 'I'm living in one of Ray's huts'. The receiving end did little more than acknowledge the messages with an 'ok'.

As I neared the middle of the exchange, I saw one received text that sent shivers through my skin.

Let me know when you find Lily.

I slowly looked up. Luke knew what I had found. I was mad. Betrayed, even.

"You knew I was here." I stated. The text was dated weeks before I had left for the island. Whoever sent it knew I was coming. Luke did, too. He knew I was coming before I even got here.

Luke stood up. "Please let me explain."

I didn't want him to. Every fiber in my soul was urging me to run away. To get as far from his lying mouth as possible. My feet stayed rooted in their spot, though. I didn't say anything. I closed the flip phone and tossed it back to him. I could feel my heartbeat in my ears, the anger red hot. Still, I stayed where I was.

"It's true that I was sent here to find evidence against Ray. But you were a higher priority. Your safety was. I'm still technically a cop but this mission was off book." Luke said, his words rushed.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"If you knew who was involved, you wouldn't have let me help you."

"Who?"

Hi's mouth was shut tight.

I took a threatening step towards him. "Luke-"

"Your father." 

Thanks to those of you who are still reading! What did you think of this chapter?