Homeless

Chapter 2

Homeless

It's been about a month since I've been on the streets. I've tried getting a job, but no one will hire me without proper identification...I didn't think to grab my birth certificate when I left. I sighed as I once again beat myself up inside my head for leaving it behind. Grabbing my bag, that has quickly became dirty and worn, I set out to began traveling once again. It was dark out, as I tried not to draw attention to myself and continued to head in the opposite direction of my old home. I wasn't sure where I was or where I was going, but I knew one thing: I wasn't going back.

When the sun started to rise, I let out a breath of relief. I walked another two blocks before I found somewhere I could rest. Placing my bag down, I sat in front it so that it was squished between the wall and myself. My stomach growled for food, but I didn't bother looking for a food place on my way up here. I only had $400 dollars left, with no sign of finding a job soon. So I only eat when I absolutely have to, especially since I'd eventually want to find somewhere to live. I decided to do my daily prayer, before closing my eyes.

Thank you Father, for allowing me to come this far. I don't know what your plans are for me, if any, but I know that you are pure and so are your plans. I'm unworthy of any of your blessings, but I can't help myself ....I must ask that you help me make it through this. Lord, forgive me...I'm hoping you are hearing me up there-

"'cuse me?" A soft voice interrupted my praying. I jumped up before cowering against the wall. I looked up to see a woman with brunette hair pulled up into a bun. Her eyes were a brilliant blue that held crinkles around them that were imprinted on her slightly tan skin. She was wearing a light blue button up dress and white shoes. It was quite old fashion but it suited her. She smiled kindly at me but as she looked me over, she begun to frown. I looked away from her eyes; I didn't need to look at them to see the shame that was surely inside of them.

"How long have ya been out here, hon?" Her soft country-accented voice rung out to me.

"I just got here, Ma'am" I replied. She shook her head.

"No suga', I mean how long have ya been out on the streets?" I blushed furiously as I understood what she meant.

"Oh, um around a month or so, I believe," I replied as I once again looked away from her, finding sudden interest in my shoes. I frowned as I saw there was a hole in the big toe. Must've happened when I was running from those thugs... She said nothing for a minute, and I was just about to excuse myself to find another spot when she decided to change my life forever.

"How would you like a job?" She said. My head snapped up to hers with wide eyes in disbelief.

"What?" I said, unable to believe what she just said.

"A job? I own a cafe not too far from here. I don't have any money to spare, but I just lost a waitress and could really use the help. That way you can make your own money and hopefully be able to get off-"

"You can do that for me? You'd be willing to do that for me? But I don't have any identification or anything-" I started to splutter off.

"That's okay, dear. We will figure something out. When can you start?" She asked.

"Right now!"  Yes, I've been up all night, but the sooner I start the sooner I can make money. The lady nodded and motioned with her head for me to follow her. I quickly grabbed my bag and followed her. "What's your name?" I asked her.

"My name is Melinda, but everyone calls me Mo or Mama" I nodded in reply.Looking up to the sky, I said a quick thank you to God. I wasn't sure if He was hearing me, but I guess He was. I don't think I could ever thank him enough. "Are you coming, dear?" I snapped out of my internal praising session and noticed I stopped walking. Mo was looking at me with a raised eyebrow; I blushed and jogged to catch up with her.