Chapter 19

Faith POV: 

I sit, trying my best not to tremble, as Paul wipes away my tears. He carefully maneuvers around my makeup, making sure to make it appear like not a single tear had fallen. My stomach twists, before I shut my eyes tightly, as I try to refrain from throwing up. 

"I feel sick..." I release, pressing my chin down to my chest. Paul rubs my back slowly, and takes a deep breath. "He's been calling Dave again. He called him about two hours ago... He's definitely using again." I inform him, feeling even worse. "I mean, I knew... but... I guess there's confirmation." I spit out, as a stagehand burst in. 

"We need you up on stage now, Ms Hill." They spit out. Paul reaches out his hand, taking mine and slowly leading me to the stage. I look around at all the people backstage, wondering if they have a clue of what's going on behind closed doors. The answer is, they have no idea. 

"Now everybody please give a warm welcome to my beautiful wife, Faith Hill!" Tim says, introducing me to the massive crowd. I look at Paul for one last look of reassurance before walking on stage. He spares me a slight smile, releasing my hand and sending me up the stairs and onto the stage. 

"Baby I've been drifting away... Dreaming all day, of holding you, touching you... The only thing I want to do is be with you, as close to you as I can be..." I sing, the words spewing from my mouth, as I try not to let my mind drift back to when we first sang this song. He smiles at me, and grabs my hand, looking as if he were so far in love with me. I shut my eyes, and turn away, before looking out onto the crowd. I slowly peel his hand off of mine, pulling it off like a bandaid. I can feel his eyes watching me, as I begin the chorus. 

"Let's make love, all night long... until all our strength is gone... Hold on tight... Just let go... I want to feel you in my soul... Until the sun comes up, let's make love..." I sing, as he grabs my hand again, just before beginning his part. 

"Do you know what you do to me..." He starts, his voice hitting me like a bullet. I fall winded, as tears rise up in my eyes. I whimper, and bite my lip to keep from wailing. He stands facing me, while I remain facing the crowd, avoiding eye contact at all costs. "Everything inside of me, is wanting you, and needing you..." He continues to sing. He then pushes my hair behind my ear, causing me to wince. "I'm so in love with you..." He places his fingers under my chin, and turns my head toward him. "Look in my eyes... Let's get lost tonight, in each other..." He sings, making me feel like I could puke. 

"Let's make love, all night long... until all our strength is gone... Hold on tight... Just let go... I want to feel you in my soul... Until the sun comes up, let's make love..." He sings, while I harmonize painfully. The second the last note is sung, I flee off the stage. I pass Paul, and race back to my dressing room, holding my dress up to keep it from dragging while I run. I run into the bathroom in the dressing room and throw up, coughing loudly as Paul comes behind me. 

"It's alright... Calm down..." He tries, holding back my hair. I sob loudly, covering my eyes as I cry uncontrollably. I hear footsteps on the linoleum behind us, before Tim's voice croaks. 

"What's going on?" He asks cautiously. I pant, and look at Paul, who looks back at me, before turning his attention to Tim. 

"Who's Vanessa?" Paul utters, causing Tim to look at me. He stares, as my mascara runs down in black rivers on my face. 

"We were writing for the new album..." He lies sheepishly, knowing he's not getting away with it. Paul nods slowly, before looking down at me, as I tremble uncontrollably. 

"Fuck you... Just... Fuck you... You're a goddamn lame excuse of a man, you son of a bitch..." Paul begins to rant, infuriated with Tim's audacity. Tim winces, and looks down at me once more.