Chapter 17

Tim POV: 

The once full bottle of pills is now completely empty, laying beside me on the barren bathroom floor. A bottle of Jack has found its way into my left hand, every once in a while experiencing a tap on its side from my wedding band. I feel so unbelievably numb, and it's wonderful. Brad, my step-father, Faith, they all don't matter anymore. The only thought that is stuck in my mind is how long this high will going to last. 

I don't need her... I could move on, if it were like this... This high... If I could find a way to recreate it, Faith doesn't need to be near me any longer. She'd probably be happier, and a hell of a lot safer that way. 

I sit up slowly, and grab the notebook and pen I brought in here with me. I open up a new page, and begin to scribble down the following words: High, love, illegal. I stare at the odd combination, trying to piece together a lyric. Within moments, a song is plastered on paper, the painkillers expediting the process dramatically. 

I put my money on love again, at a hundred to one. I dealt my losing out... I'll just try til I win...Or see how close I can come... Oh it should be illegal, it gets me so high... I can fly like an eagle, night after night... I've known people who have thrown in the towel, just cause they've lost once or twice... But it takes a believer to put all this faith in the toss of the dice... 

I stare at the lyrics, before staring at the clock on the wall. I was supposed to be back at the hospital three hours ago. Why? I mean, it's not like I'm missing out on anything. I'm just going to sit there, and watch her slowly slip closer to death... 

My limbs tingle, causing me to begin giggling like a kid. I lie back down on the floor, now cackling loudly as the light feeling within me makes me feel jolly. 

The high is fading, leaving me aching on the ground. I slowly get myself up and search for my phone. I need more... I can't take this feeling. I finally find my phone buried in my duffel bag that I take to the hospital. I look to see twenty three missed calls from Paul. I dial him back, awaiting for him to yell at me for being late. 

"Hey-" I start, before he cuts me off

"She's awake." He spits out urgently. I stare for a moment, my shoulders feeling tight as I come off my high.

"What?" 

"She woke up. She's here holding Audrey right now." He says, sounding almost at peace for the first time in forever. "You need to get back here." He adds, as I hear a little giggle come from Audrey. I nod slowly, as my lung begin to burn. 

"Paul, I need you to do something for me..." I request, my head pounding unbearably. 

"What?" He asks cautiously. I hear him shut a door behind him, probably going out into the hallway for privacy. 

"I'm out of pills... I need more, now." I release, sounding addicted. He sighs, remaining silent for a few moments. 

"Tim, I don't want you getting addicted to those things." He begins to chastise. 

"Paul, I'm in so much pain... Just please... get me another bottle." I plead, causing him to sigh even louder. 

"Fine." He says quietly, as if it were our little secret. "But only one." 

I rush into the hospital, plowing past countless doctors and nurse in the halls as I begin the trek up to her room. My chest aches, as I try to imagine what she'll say once she sees me. I reach her door, peaking in through the shades on the window into her room. She cradles Audrey, looking down at her with a bright smile. Her color has improved dramatically, her hair appearing longer and darker than the day before. She looks up and locks eyes with me, her smile growing brighter gradually the longer she stares at me. She reaches out her arm toward me, taking me in. She hugs me tightly, while still holding onto Audrey. 

"I missed you...." She lets out, sounding like she could cry. I smile, and hold her head in my hands, before kissing her forehead. I run my hands up and down her back, trying to keep her from crying. 

"I missed you too, baby..." I reply, shutting my eyes tightly as I try to memorize her voice.