Chapter 28

song at the top^^^

+++

A knock on my front door forces me to get off the sofa, putting my studies aside. I unlock the door, pulling it open.

"Tilly," the boy with blue eyes breathes heavily.

"What are you doing here?"

"I need you to believe me. I need you to believe I love you."

"Louis, you don't love me. You love Eleanor." I shake my head.

"You're wrong. I love you." He argues. "I love that I remember when we first met. I love that you always got into mischievous shenanigans with me. I love that you truly don't give a damn what anyone thinks. I have missed you so much. I love you, Tilly." He confesses, looking me in the eyes.

He keeps saying I love you. I can't say it back. I can't say anything. I stare at him.

"I told you not to fall in love with me." I remind him.

"And I told you I never stopped."

"You pushed me away. You pushed me away and you knocked me down, hard. I can't love you. It hurts too much." I shake my head.

"If I could change it, I would. I would do anything, Tallulah."

"I know you would. You've been saving me my whole life, but you-you can't save me now." I gulp.

"Please, just give me a chance." He pleads, desperately.

I sigh, grabbing his arm and pull him into my flat. I shut the door behind me and look up at him.

A hundred reasons why Louis shouldn't be in my flat floods my mind. He could see my hospital bills. He could see my pills.

He could find out I'm dying.

I'm so wrapped up in worrying about him finding out that I actually forget he is standing right in front of me.

"Listen, you told me you wanted to be friends and I'm willing to try and manage that." I reason.

"I don't want to just be your friend." He shakes his head.

"You're a pastime to me, Louis and not even my favourite."

"You know what your problem is? You can't live with the idea that someone might leave." He says, harshly.

"No, I can't live with the idea of wasting my time." I correct him.

"Are you scared someone might actually want to be with you?" He asks.

"And why would that scare me?"

"You're scared because you want to be with me, too, but you're afraid I'll leave."

I feel my heart start to beat faster in my chest. There are so many things I want to say, but my vocal cords aren't working in my favor.

"Are you sick?" He asks, without hesitation, or consideration.

I squint my watery eyes at him. I try to keep a hard expression, but a tear rolls down my hallowed cheek.