epilogue [ 1 ]

july 25th, 2023

it was a warm twenty-fifth of july, as warm as summer could be. the clouds shielded the families exploring the park from the sun above. but even if there were no traces of clouds in the sky, there was enough trees that towered over the trails of the park to provide shelter.

and ramona was happy. she had her favourite drink in one hand, the ice cubes were starting to melt but the cold still pinched the parts of her hand in contact with the plastic bottle. which was mainly her palm and fingers.

and she held henry's hand loosely with her other hand. their hands were swinging together, just as always. one of the pair would occasionally swing their arm with too much force on purpose just to get a laugh, a scoff, or an eye roll from the other.

ramona glanced at her best friend and noticed how his hair appeared darker than usual, which she wasn't really sure how that was possible since his hair was already raven black. his eyes seemed brighter, the grey ones—that always looked like a storm was raging on—that she had always loved had looked blue from the angle she was looking at him.

when the rays of sunlight that shone through the clouds hits the side of henry's face, the freckles that dusted the areas around his nose became much more visible and it made ramona itch to go on her tip toe and kiss them. but she stopped herself—she wasn't one for extreme public display of affection and she was lucky that henry understood and agreed completely.

ramona was so wrapped up in her thoughts she hadn't realized that henry had stopped walking.

"what's up?"

"do you remember our time capsules?"

"what?"

"when we were 11, mrs. brün asked us to compile a box,"

"a box?"

"yeah, a box that we had to fill with—"

"things that meant a lot to us."

"you remember?"

"and then she asked us to bury it somewhere no one will find it until ten years later?"

"do you remember where you hid yours?"

"no—no i didn't even remember it until you brought it up. what's this about? did you find yours?"

"i've always known where i buried it."

"wait—for real?"

"for real. and i found this in it. i called mom this morning and told her about it, she lost it a long time and apparently cheeky little me stole it from her."

"is that—"

"mom freaked! she started laughing, or cackling really. and then she started sobbing and wailing, i had to call dad and tell him to check up on her to see if she's sane."

"you stole your mom's ring?"

"yes i was a stupid kid. i stole my mother's ring and now i'm giving it to you. you got a problem with that?"

"i—"

"yeah yeah i know, it's 13 years overdue but i just found the box this morning and i've been meaning to give it to you ever since we were 9."

"since we were 9."

"yep, the year you wouldn't stop talking about that matthew kid from summer camp."

"you waited for me?"

"i've always loved you. and i knew you were the one i wanted to marry. i was only 9 but i meant it."

"after all this time."

"always."

"oh god—"

"you're the lily to my snape, ro."

"stop it."

"lily don't cry!"

"i hate you!"

"love you too,"