Guardian Angel (part quatre)

When Scott wakes up, Mitch is gone.

He sits up, confused, and also wondering how Mitch managed to get out from under him without waking him up.

Eventually, he spots a small written note on the bedside table, the handwriting neat and curly and adorable.

Scott,

I had to go run a few errands. I'll be back soon, but I need you to stay in my room, okay? I locked the door before you left, so you should be safe from John, just don't leave.

I'm going to bring you food when I return. You can sleep some more after you find this, or I think I might have a book or two somewhere in the drawers. Just entertain yourself until I get back.

Anyway, I hope you slept well. I've got to go, so I'll see you when I return.

- Mitch :)

Scott finds himself smiling down at the paper, staring at the little signature at the bottom of the page. He carefully folds it and, not knowing where else to put it, slips it underneath the bedside table and hopes Mitch wouldn't find it.

Scott stands up and stretches, looking around the room to decide what he could do for the next who-knows-how-many hours. Eventually, he sighs, and just curls on the bed as he waits for Mitch's return.

+++

It's a few hours before Mitch finally opens the door, holding a bag of takeout from a nearby restaurant. Scott perks up, lifting his head and smiling slightly at Mitch. Mitch smiles back, setting the stuff down and opening his mouth to say something before Kirstie rushes in, cutting him off.

"John wants Scott again," she says, staring directly at Mitch. Scott's eyes widen fearfully, and he subconsciously curls tighter, sure that Mitch is going to decide that he's taken it one too many times —

"You stay here. Protect him. I'll go... get him out of it."

Scott watches, stunned, as Mitch rushes out of the room. Kirstie watches him go, chewing nervously on her lip, before shutting the door and turning to Scott, forcing a smile. "What do you want to do?" she asks as brightly as she can, but Scott doesn't look at her, his eyes focused on the door. Kirstie frantically tries to think of something to do, some way to distract this distraught blonde from the situation.

"How about I tell you a story?"

Scott's gaze slowly shifts from the door to Kirstie. He still doesn't say anything, but Kirstie gets the message.

"Once upon a time, there was a little boy. He had everything he ever wanted — loving parents, lots of friends, and a big beautiful home. Until one day, all that was taken away when his parents were killed in a car crash. The little boy was forced to go live with his uncle, who hated him. Every day for thirteen years he was abused and even sometimes used by this uncle. It wasn't until his eighteenth birthday could this boy escape his living h*ll. He —"

Her story is interrupted by a loud scream. "PLEASE." Scott's eyes widen and he scrambles to get up, but Kirstie quickly pushes him back down, glancing back at the door but hurriedly continuing her story.

"He lived on the streets for about six months and, since he wasn't the biggest and strongest boy, often had to fight the others for his little hideout. He surprisingly won every single one, for the boy was smart and new how to use his size to his advantage. One day, he —"

Another scream rips through the house. "NO. NO. PLEASE. I'M SORRY!" Scott's eyes fill with tears and he tries to get up again, but Kirstie is quick to push him back down and continue her story.

"One day, he fell in love with a young man. He never worked up the courage to talk to him, though, and watched through the years as the man slowly spiraled downward into depression. It broke the little boy's heart, but he had no choice but to leave him, because shortly after he fell in love he was taken in by a man. This man —"

"NO. DON'T. PLEASE. I'M SORRY —" the scream itself is interrupted by a loud cracking noise and soon the words are simply replaced simply by a scream.

Scott turns to Kirstie with tears running down his cheeks. "Please save him," he whispers brokenly, and she stares at him for a few seconds before nodding, flinching as another scream sounds. Scott scrambles up and quickly follows her, furiously wiping away his tears.

Scott waits outside while Kirstie opens the door, going inside. Her heart breaks at the sight of a shirtless Mitch laying on the floor, loud sobs escaping his lips and blood oozing down his back. She's quick to stop John as he raises the whip once more. "I think that's enough for today," she says quietly, kneeling at Mitch's side. John scowls, but gives in, realizing he'll kill Mitch is he keeps going. Mitch stares up at her warily, tears still streaming out of his eyes. "Come on, honey," Kirstie murmurs, gently helping him up, "can you walk by yourself?" Mitch sniffles and nods, trying to take a step but falling back. Kirstie quickly catches him, frowning as her heart breaks a bit more. Mitch frowns, mad at himself, but allows Kirstie to help him out.

Scott attacks him in a hug as soon as he's out, completely disregarding the blood. Mitch squeaks in surprise, but hugs him back once he realizes who he is, sighing and leaning his head against his chest. "I'm sorry," Mitch murmurs, managing to find the strength to squeeze him tighter. Scott frowns, resting his chin on Mitch's shoulder and leaning his head against Mitch's with his eyes closed. "What for?" Mitch sighs, pulling away and wincing as he tries to run his hand through his hair. "You probably heard the screams, didn't you?" he whispers, and Scott slowly nods. "Yeah," he whispers back. Mitch sighs again and shakes his head, rubbing his eyes. Kirstie watches the two of them, biting her lip. "Come on, Mitchie. We need to get you cleaned up."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sorry, I know it's lame and it's been forever. You have my consent to stop reading.