Princess licked her wet face as Brielle burst out laughing. Several passers-by were giving them disapproving looks, but neither of the two noticed.

"Thank you sweetie. I really needed to clear my head" she said thickly as she crouched down to lift up Princess's leash. "Come on, let's get you home."

"Woof." Princess gave her approval by wagging her tail. Brielle couldn't help but smile.

 ***

Paula and Axky had fallen asleep in the hospital's waiting room for the night after Brielle had left them saying that she wanted to be with Jack. Axky was the first to wake up and was fiddling away with his phone. Paula yawned as she sat up and looked at him quizzically.

"The evidence is ready." declared Axky as he stretched his arms out. 

"That's wonderful." said Paula happily. "Justice will be served finally."

Axky handed his cell phone to Paula. "Call the police."

"Are you sure? Jack's been operated upon only last evening, if the police come to question him, the stress will not be good for him." Paula stopped. "Axky, where's Brielle?"

"Where?" repeated Axky. "She was with Jack right? Let's go check."

Paula stood up quickly as the two of them rushed towards Jack's room and entered noisily, without bothering to knock.

"Where is she?" asked Jack urgently as soon as they entered the room.

"We thought she was with you." said Paula.

"She ran off a few minutes ago. This damn plaster on my leg won't let me get up. I need to go after her."

"Mind telling me what happened?" said his childhood friend shaking his head at Jack.

"All I did was ask her if she'd checked my pockets before my operation and she slammed our engagement ring onto my palm and stormed out." said Jack straining to sit up. Axky propped a pillow behind his back.

"Do you honestly not know why she's upset?" asked Axky a small smile forming on his lips.

"No damn clue."said Jack clutching the hair on his head in frustration. "What did I do?"

"See for yourself."  said Axky as he took out his phone and replayed the part that he had shone Brielle.

***

She did not know how she took a wrong turn and ended up at a dead end. They alley had been pretty much desolate and she should have realized she was heading the wrong way sooner.

"We'll have to turn back." said Brielle shaking her head. "Sorry Princess I'm just terrible with directions."

Princess barked suddenly and Brielle almost jumped n surprise. A Great Dane's bark could probably shake walls.

"You must be the lovely and elusive Brielle." said a crackly voice from behind Brielle. Princess spun around immediately and growled angrily.

Brielle turned to see an elderly man who looked strikingly similar to a man she had once mistakenly considered her first love.

"You're Zachary's father." she stated simply as the old man relaxed his hold on the walking stick. She staggered back in fear. "How did you find me?"

"You are a smart girl." he said raspily. "Yes, I am Zachary's father. My useless son and his men have failed to perform their duty and so here I am cleaning up the mess they've caused. Listen carefully Brielle, I have a proposition for you."