Chapter Ten | Charleston House, November 1991

Start from the beginning

“Oh.” She breathed “Yes, yes I just – well, I’m not used to travelling by car.”

Joseph smiled and opened her door “No worries, it’s perfectly safe – and I’m a very good driver.”

Sitting rigidly the entire drive, Hazel was almost too distracted to follow up her end of the conversation. Lucky for her, Joseph was very chatty; he talked about books and the town and movies – Hazel was instantly reminded of Sirius’ constant movie invitations. Thinking of Sirius darkened her mood, so she shooed him out of her thoughts. Tonight was about Joseph.

They arrived at Joseph’s home, a small house nestled between two towering oak trees. Smoke curled from the chimney, and you had to cross a bridge over a small pond to reach the front door; it smelled like good food and pine, and Hazel felt immediately at home.

Supper was delicious, the conversation flowed; Hazel found it was effortless to be with Joseph. He told her about his daughter Evanna, his job teaching English and History at the school in town – he was fascinating really, pebble eyes bright as he told funny stories of his students and the things Evanna had done to make him laugh that day.

Hazel replied with vague stories of the twins, keeping all the magical details to herself. Stories of her childhood simply poured from her; tales of adventures with Lily and the Spinners End Faire and dancing in the rain and festivals with Remus. They talked about books and their children and everything that came to mind – Hazel felt free.

At the end of the evening Joseph walked her home; the air was cool, and snow had begun to fall as they strolled down the path. They caught in Hazel’s curls and eyelashes, giving her a mythical look; she swore that Joseph was looking at her when she wasn’t paying attention. As they neared Hester House Joseph took her hand in his, gently so it felt as if she rested her fingers on clouds.

“Hazel, I’d like to tell you a secret.” He said, gently turning her fingers over “Well, two actually.”

A snowflake caught in his salt and pepper hair, and Hazel tilted her head to one side “Okay, secrets can be entertaining. Good way to end the evening.”

Leaning in close, Joseph brushed back a curl as he whispered in her ear “You glow like a witch, Hazel Bowen.”

Hazel felt as if cold snow had been dumped down the back of her coat – how could she have been so silly? It was a nightmare Hazel had had many times; Witch and Wizard hunters were becoming more common, and though Joseph seemed lovely, you never knew.

“I-I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She said, pulling back a bit to look in his eyes.

“My wife was a witch Hazel; I’ve learned how to spot one. I can see through your charms and spells, my wife used to put the same ones on her house before we married and I found out.”

The world had gone rather lopsided; Hazel didn’t know what to think. “I…I don’t know what to say Joseph.”

He shrugged and dug his hands into his coat pockets “Nothing if you wish. I enjoyed our evening however, and would very much like to do this again. Would you like to go to lunch in town this week?”

Surprised, Hazel merely nodded.

“Great!” Joseph beamed “And Hazel…I’m not going to kiss you goodnight. I think you have been treated wrongly, but next time…” his pebble eyes shone “I think I may have to act on my wishes.”

Sucking in a breathe, Hazel nodded “Please do.” She whispered; with that, Joseph walked back down the driveway, disappearing into the snow.

Standing there a few moments more, Hazel listened for Severus’ voice. Her illusions had been oddly quiet that evening – as if the happiness Joseph gave her drowned out the weight Severus had hanging on her heart.

“I will be happy.” She vowed to the silence “I will be Happy Severus, with or without you.”

A/N: So I KNOW this took forever,  but I have a dry season with every book - I'm guessing this was it. Plus I was adjusting to life, so give me a break. 

I hope you enjoyed this, and liked Joseph.

Question: Thoughts on the Joseph/Hazel front? Futur for these two cuties?

Rose<3

P.S I was thinking about entering Call Me Pretty in the Watty Awards...or Living in Shadows. Or mabybe Underground Angels. I dunno. Ack!