16 ~The Fateful Day~

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

While the Guardians were mourning their loss of the Sandman, Jack separated himself. He stayed in North's office near the window like he did before. "I shouldn't be here," he muttered as he heard the door open.

"And what made you think that?" Tooth flew towards Jack alongside a Baby Tooth.

"I'm not a Guardian," Jack replied, "I couldn't even save him,"

"Of course you are," Tooth smiled gently, "And none of us could have done anything. None of us saw it coming. The last thing Sandy wants from us is to feel guilty for something that isn't our fault,"

"How do I know who I am if I don't know who I was...?" Jack whispered. Tooth heard his words and sat next to him.

"You know... I collect teeth for a reason," she said, catching Jack's attention, "They hold the most precious memories of childhood. If they ever forget, we'll be there to remind them," she continued, a soft chuckle escaping her lips.

"Do you have everyone's?" Jack asked, facing Tooth.

"Yes. Yours, too," Tooth nodded.

Wait. His memories. All this time, the answer was so close. He could finally know who he was before he was him. "So you're telling me... I was someone before I was called by the moon?" He asked to clarify.

"Of course. We were all someone before we were chosen," Tooth replied.

"That's it!" Jack's face lit up as he jumped up, "You can show me! I can remember who I was and maybe..."

Tooth laughed and placed a hand on his shoulder, "And maybe you'll figure out why you were chosen?" She guessed.

"Exactly!" Jack said excitedly, "Come on! Let's go!" He ran out of the room full of glee.

Toothiana smiled to herself. This must be just what they needed. If Jack knew who he was, he might agree to become a Guardian and he can protect his friends better.

"Wait, Jack! You don't know the way," Tooth laughed, catching up to Jack.

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

The morning sun shone on the mast of the ships that arrived on the harbors of Berk. A crowd formed around the harbors and as soon as Hiccup saw it, he went out of the house to join in. He could only get quite a few peaks since he was short compared to the other vikings. The crowd started to move as the clans headed to the arena.

Hiccup was approached by Gobber. "Ey, Hiccup!" He said, "Your dad is looking for you in the Great Hall. Come on," he started to walk the different direction from the crowd. Hiccup followed with a hint of worry in his heart.

It was the day of the games. If they can pull off their plan, hopefully they get the outcome they want. On the way to the Grand Hall, Hiccup and Astrid caught each other's eyes. They exchangrd nods before going their separate ways.

They arrive at the empty Grand Hall where Stoick stood, facing the wall where a tapestry of a Viking smiting a vicious dragon. Hiccup gulped, the nervousness, anticipation and fear building up and mixing inside him. What's worse is that Gobber left.

"Uh..." Hiccup cleared his throat "Dad, you... wanted to see me?"

Stoick turned around with his hand behind his back. He approached his son. "It's your big day," he said, "You don't have to win. As long as you don't back out and face that dragon head on, I will already be proud of you," Stoick smiled, an expression quite rare for the stoic chief of Berk.

Hiccup nodded and forced a smile. He knew he would upset his father with what he was going to do. Now, he would rather fail and the secrets would die alongside him. But no. That was not going to happen.