Chapter Eleven.

"Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray."
― Rumi    

The sound of light tapping brought Cassie out of her slumber. She slowly lifted  her eyelids and then she looked up at the ceiling. She scratched her eyes and then she furrowed her eyebrows when she heard the continuous sound that seemed to be  someone typing. In a swift move, she sat up on her bed and lo and behold: Joseph was sat by her desk, with Cassie's laptop in front of him.

"Please, tell me I'm dreaming," she said in her usual lazy morning voice. Joseph turned around with a smug smile plastered on his face. He was dressed in a checkered black and white shirt with a black slim tie around his neck. He had on black trousers and a jacket hung around the backrest of the chair. His hair was neatly combed back. Cassie did not bother asking him what the special occasion was because all the times she had seen him, he dressed like he was ready for a job interview.  He had a mug on the desk in front of him and a plate that had two slices of toast, some bacon, a sausage, and some scrambled eggs.

"How did you get in here?" she placed her feet on the floor and stood by her bed.

"You should really lock your balcony door," he shot her a disappointed look. "I would offer you some breakfast, but I'm really not a courteous person," he smiled. 

Cassie slapped her head and squealed when she realized that she had hit the spot that was wounded. She had forgotten to lock the one door had had direct access to her. She felt so stupid and as much as she disliked Joseph, she was glad that it was him sitting in her room and not the person that attacked her. Usually, she would have had a more aggressive reaction, but she was amused by him, and frankly, she expected that and much worse from him. She also did not have the energy to curse him out or to send him out of her room. She was still mildly in pain and not in the mood.

"What are you doing with my laptop?" She moved closer to him.

"That's really none of your business," he dismissed in an ill-mannered fashion, and then he picked up a slice of toast and took a big bite.

Cassie pushed her head back and scoffed and then she walked into the bathroom. She inspected her face, and when she saw how evident the cut on her lip was, she searched through her mind for some sort of believable excuse to give those that she knew will ask about it. She washed her face and brushed her teeth before going back out to her room.

"You look rather unpleasant in the morning," Joseph commented, once he heard her footsteps. Cassie walked to him and smacked him on the back of his head. He did not flinch.

"And you look rather unpleasant all the time, what the hell are you doing here?" she asked in the angry and frustrated tone she used anytime Joseph was around her, or anytime she was on te phone with him.

"If your tiny brain can recall, you called me and told me some nonsense about Brianna going missing," he crossed his arms over his chest and turned around to Cassie.  He shuddered once he took a good look at her face. "Not that I care, but what happened to you?"

Cassie rolled her eyes but gave him an answer anyway, "Brianna happened to me," she said.

Joseph chuckled "you're telling me that you got beat up?" he kept on laughing, not even having the decency to try to stifle it in. Cassie slapped his arm, but he was not fazed by it, and so she gave him a deadly stare until his laughter came to a halt.

"What's so funny?" she rolled her eyes. 

"The fact that you got beat up is hilarious. But with that being said, I think you've got the wrong person, Cassidy," he said. "Think about it, Brianna just got shot, and she needs our help, why would she beat you up?"