Running Away With My Heart

Start from the beginning

“Then that is...Keith Bradly?” Colleen confirmed, though it wasn't necessary. The young man had been a permanent fixture in their home when he and Rebecca had been dating. He was older and more matured, but there was no mistaking Keith Bradly.

“Yes.” Rebecca hissed and ducked her head towards the window, looking as if she were contemplating jumping through it and running away.

Suddenly troubled by the misty sheen in her daughter's eyes, Colleen glanced quick at the young man again. “Maybe you should say hello to him first.”

“What?” Rebecca's lips tightened. “No. I don't want to talk to him.”

“You and Keith used to be friends, Becca.” Colleen said softly.

Rebecca's face tightened and she swallowed with effort. “We used to be a lot of things, mom. But it's ancient history. We stopped being friends when we stopped being...” She turned her eyes to the window again, blinking quickly.

Oh God. Why here, why now? This is the last thing she needs. What are you doing?

“Becky?”

Colleen and Rebecca both jumped, startled by the man's sudden presence at their table. Becky. Keith was the only one who ever called her that. Rebecca regained her composure more quickly than anyone Colleen had ever seen. Clearly the last thing her daughter wanted was for the man to see that he still affected her.

“Keith.” Rebecca smiled. “What a surprise. It's been a long time.”

“It has.” he spoke low, soft.

For a brief moment, the two just looked at one another, eyes locked. The pinching in Colleen's stomach twisted and tightened. “Keith.” Colleen spoke up, breaking the moment. “It's so nice to see you again.”

It seemed to take effort for Keith to pull his eyes off Rebecca and meet Colleen's gaze. “Mrs. Harrington.” he smiled warmly. “You're looking as lovely as ever. How is Mr. Harrington?”

“Very well, thank you.” Across the table, Rebecca fidgeted with her napkin. “How have you been?”

“Great. I have my own private contracting business now. It's going well.”

“That's wonderful.” Colleen smiled. “So...do you live here in the city now?”

“Momentarily.” Keith chuckled. “I'm not really a city guy. I'm looking for a place on the outskirts. Maybe in one of the smaller, neighboring towns.”

“I see.” Colleen glanced at Rebecca, and Keith's gaze followed hers.

“That's a lovely ring.” Keith said. He was clearly reaching for a light tone, but couldn't quite grasp it. “Getting married soon?”

“Yes.” Rebecca spoke with more strength than was evident in her eyes.

“Congratulations.” Keith studied her face though she carefully avoided his eyes. “If I may ask, who is the lucky man?”

“Noble Richman.”

Colleen watched the exchange, an all new tension twisting her up inside.

“I haven't had the pleasure.” Keith said. “But I'm sure he's a wonderful man.”

“He is.” Rebecca stated with a note of defensiveness, as if Keith were somehow belittling her fiance, though he hadn't been.

Keith smiled softly. “Well, he certainly has good taste. Have to give him that much.”

Rebecca released a slow breath but simply nodded, merely shooting the man quick glances. Keith stared at her a moment longer then shifted his attention to Colleen once more.