The Escape

I imagined the day that I had come to New York completely differently. I imagined that, that day I stepped off of the platform of the train and was greeted by my father who was delighted to see me after the summer I spent with my grandparents. He would wrap me up in a hug telling me that he was proud of how much I'd grown over a small amount of time. I would push him away, and complain about how much he treated me like a child. Then I would go back home, and we would all have dinner together. Harry would tell me about how many varsity sports he'd been training for while I pretended to listen. Jacob would whip up some of his famous bolognese, and talk about how his brother was driving him nuts when I was gone. The night would've ended in peace, and silence without a Harmattan, or Reagan, or death. I would be normal. But that wasn't how my life was like.

It all happened so quickly that I didn't know what was going on. First came the hot flash of fire and pain. Cold wind blew, and my skin felt like it was being sucked into a vent. My eyes opened again, and I could see myself falling onto the floor.

I stood quickly on my feet. I vibrated my body to warm myself up. "Sam!" A voice said behind me. I turned around wondering who had released me from the ice. It was none other than the man who locked me into it. Wes.

"I'm going to kill you!" I said on instinct. Though it was a bluff. I couldn't kill him since my sole mission was to protect him.

He held up his hands in surrender, "Wait!" He said to me, "we don't have time to fight!"

I engulfed my hands in flames and walked closer to him. "I have all the time in the world." I said to him.

"I defrosted you for a reason, and if we don't leave now, we're going to be in big trouble." he said.

"And you expect me to believe you?" I asked.

"Maybe?" He said. I looked behind him, and saw Chris, Dr. Keeley's brother who I haven't seen in a long time.

"Chris!" I said running towards him. "What are you doing here?"

"Stay away from him!" Wes yelled.

Chris smirked, and reached into his back pocket and pulled out a gun pointing it at my forehead. "Thank you for defrosting him and speeding up the process." Chris said.

I backed up as the bullet was fired. It moved in slow motion as I ran to the other side of the room. "What the hell was that about?!" I said to him.

"Like I said, we need to leave" Wes said.

"Hold still, and it'll be over quicker." Chris said.

I ran to Wes, and grabbed him by the collar. "Hold tight" I said to him. I ran out of the room, which led to an even bigger maze of doors. "How do I get out of here, ice pop?"

He caught his breath before threw me a helmet. "Put it on, you'll need it." I placed it on my head as he knelt to the ground and froze the floor. With one punch he broke the ice revealing the bottom floor. "Come on" he said jumping down. I followed him.

"Where are we?" I said walking around in the dark.

"Help me out and do that thing with your hands?" He asked.

I lit them on fire revealing the room full of expensive cars and motorcycles. "Woah" I said looking around.

"Get on" he said sitting down on a bright orange bike.

I looked at him up and down. "I don't think so" I said to him. I pointed to a sleeker-looking black motorcycle.

He huffed, "fine" he said getting off.

I hopped into the front seat. "You've got to be kidding me." he said. "I'm driving"

"How old are you thirteen?" I guessed.

"First of all screw you" he said "And I've ridden motorcycles since I was eight."

"Yeah, well my grandparents had a dirt bike" I argued.

"Hey!" Guards said with guns pointed at us.

"Crap" Wes said. He pointed his watch at a red button and fired an arrow at it. The floor opened and the cars rolled out of the flying ship into the barren road.

Wes hopped onto the back, and yelled. "Get us out of here!" I hit the gas, sending us shooting forward.

I sighed in relief as we got away. "That was too close for comfort"

"Don't get too happy yet." Wes said. Two guards with bikes of their own were chasing us.

"Make yourself useful" I said to him.

He whipped out two pistols from his boots, and flipped around on the bike. He aimed, and in two shots took down both the guards. He flipped back around, and put the weapons away.

To be honest, I was impressed, but I'd never tell him that. "Okay, Hitman. What next?" I asked.

"We lay low," he said. "Right now. We're dead men"

"What's going on, how long was I out, why did Harry want to kill me, and where's Schlein?"

"There aren't enough hours in the world to answer the amount of questions you ask" he said angrily.

I ignored his comment. "So, what?" I said, "Dr. Schlien didn't want you around anymore. When you realized he would kill you too, you split?"

"I left on my own when I realized what he was doing." He said. "He needed me. For some reason he always wanted to keep me alive."

"And what, you thawed me out, out of the kindness of your heart?"

"I thawed you out because he was gonna use you as weapon for mass destruction" he began, "and your father paid me handsomely."

"Nice to know altruism still exists" I said sarcastically. "So why did he brainwash Chris?" I asked.

"He's not brainwashed. The Chris you saw, is the Chris he is." Wes said.

"I don't understand." I said.

"I'll take you to the cabin" Wes said. "When you see everyone again. You'll understand"