FIFTEEN

Jason could feel a pull on his heart as he listened in on Maddison's cries.

She was clinging to her blanket as tears flew from her eyes. She hadn't slept in 4 days, or eaten, or showered.

"Maddie" Jason called out, followed by a soft knock.

Obviously she didn't reply.

"Maddie, I'm coming in" his voice was quite as he opens the door to Lillian's princess room.

"Maddie, you need to eat something"

"How about a bubble bath?"

"We will get her back Maddie"

Every statement Jason made was responded with silence or a sob.

Jason's heart clenched more as he gazed upon Maddie's distressed figure.

Her hair was a knotted mess. Dry tears were covered by new ones on her cheeks. Her eyes, red as a tomato as dark circles framed them.

He thought back to the day he last saw her happy.

He thought about how golden her hair looked. How bright her eyes were. How alive she looked.

It was a complete flip from the girl he was looking at.

Jason didn't know if it was because of the scenario they were in or the fact he hadn't felt a woman's skin since Maddison moved in but he reached out for her.

He cradled her into his chest as she sobbed.

He ran his fingers through the smooth parts of her hair.

He told her it was going to be okay.

Before he could comprehend what was happening, a single tear rolled from his eye.

He jolted, as if Maddie was poison.

What is wrong with me!? He thought to himself.

With a slam of the door, he was gone.

Maddison's POV

He threw me away like I was poison.

How could I think that moment would last. He probably only did it to shut me up.

"Oh, lily" I cried out as I took hold of her favourite blanket.

Jason hasn't made any progress in finding her. I know he is working really hard but nothing has come up. Not a single clue to where she might be. Nothing.

She's just... Gone.

I let out a strangled scream as I clenched her pillows in my hands.

My throat felt like it was on fire and black spots started to blur my vision but I continued to scream.

I felt hands grasp my arms but I ignored them.

I felt liquid form in my mouth and with a final cough, my cries stopped.

The black spots had almost completely clouded my vision, my throat on fire, my head thumping.

I took one last look to the pillows to see a small patch of blood and with that, darkness consumed me.

***

Banging was heard from Jason's office.

Followed by the sound of glass shattering.

Then the sound of a loud, rough groan.

He had been pushed over the line.

Jason was not only dealing with trying to find Lily, now he was worrying about Maddie.

She still hasn't waken from her outburst 2 days ago. Apparently, fatigue and starvation had consumed her.

"Boss," Gavin, a tech guy called out as he entered Jason's office.

"You better have good news" he warned, "if not, get out"

"We have a lead on the location of Jeremy"

Jason's body stiffened, this time not out of anger but joy.

"Tell me everything you know"

"Well, our surveillance team caught sight of him in rio on the 3rd but he was spotted this morning arriving into Canada with a little someone in tow" Gavin placed a set of photographs on Jason's desk.

The pictures contained a clear shot of Jeremy and also a small child, the face covered by a huge hooded jacket.

Jason knew it was his lily by the small yellow bow dangling from a soft brunette braid. 

He had brought her that bow.

"Get the men ready to move out in 10," Jason commanded quickly as he reached for his mobile "I know exactly where he is going"