[5] ✓

"Yeah, I don't think she can come to school today either. She still doesn't feel well." Elena's mum sighed to the school secretary over the phone. The truth was, Elena didn't feel sick, but she did not feel like going to school.

After hanging out with Stefan, everything was fine. But then Caroline had started hanging out with him, more and more. Elena asked him constantly if he wanted to go to the cinemas again or something else. She had stopped a couple of months ago when she had heard a group of girls talking about her, calling her desperate behind Elena's back. It just felt so lonely. Bonnie had been distant and all the other girls were acting strange around her. Caroline had been... really hard work to deal with. She hated Elena and was constantly there to put her down.

And to believe it's only been a year. Everything's changed. And Elena didn't want it to. Maybe she could just be 'ill' till school finished for good. Maybe she'd just run away. But she couldn't do that. Elena couldn't leave her mum like her dad had.

~

Stefan opened his eyes to see a half asleep Caroline staring at him. "Goodmorning." Caroline said.

"Morning." Stefan smirked, kissing her on the head and jumping in the shower. After, Stefan walked into his closet to get changed.

"You're going to have to drive me back home." Stefan walked back out of the closet, now fully dressed and raised his eyebrows. Caroline sighed, "If you want me to stay the night, then you have to atleast have the decency to drive me home, stay in the car, wait for me to get dressed, and drive us to school." Said Caroline with her hands on her hips.

Let's just clarify some things here:
1. You begged me to let you stay over last night because you were too 'tiered' from the homework. Even though I did most of our English homework, Stefan thought, and 2. You don't even live that far and you have your own car to drive you home.

But Stefan didn't say that. He knew if those words came out of his mouth Caroline would make a huge deal out of it.

If Caroline didn't want to do something—and in this case, it was driving her own car to her own home and then driving to school by herself—then she wouldn't do it.

"Okay, okay. But next time, your packing an over night back."

Caroline was such hard work at times, Stefan was having a hard time to put up with her. She could be really fun to hang out with, but Stefan knew he'd never have her as a girlfriend.

There's lots of pretty girls just like her. Beautiful on the outside but ugly and ruined on the inside. Stefan knew that maybe he was going a bit far, but Caroline always let her emotions get the best of her. And most of the time, it was jealousy. And that was just one thing that Stefan couldn't stand.

He sneaked Caroline out the front door and ignored his dad when he called for Stefan.

Stefan and his dad had had a big fight that morning after his date with Elena—if that's even what you could call it—he was telling Stefan that he hoped that he was trying hard at school and Stefan told him he was, and then he started asking him questions about what he did last night. The point was, he didn't trust him, even though Stefan tried his hardest to impress his dad.

So Stefan just stopped trying. He was a fool to think things could be better here, nothing would ever change; his dad would never trust him, and Stefan would never decide to just stop going to parties and dancing with girls.

Stefan hadn't talked to Elena in a long time. Caroline didn't want him to and Caroline was... Caroline. She could be very persuasive. He did feel kind of bad though. Him and Elena got on great together, and even if he wanted to start talking to her again, she propably hated him.