Chapter Fifteen

Izzy sat in a lonely compartment in the Hogwarts Express. She left her owl at the Hogwarts owlery; her parents didn't like Heather anyway. Apparently she bites when she doesn't get tipped. Hope, Henry, Stella, Eliza and Teddy were away in the next compartment. Izzy sighed. Hope and Henry were just... too noisy. The sound they make alone could match the sound that the whole school makes during the Hallowe'en Feast. 

She chuckled quietly to herself, pulling out a tiny book from underneath her robes. She caressed the cover; it was The Little Mermaid, her most treasured book. Her mother told her that when she saw the book at the bookstore when she was one, she never let go of it. The cover showed a blonde-haired mermaid with a green tail, crouching on a rock, watching a ship with a handsome prince on it. Izzy sighed and leaned back when the compartment door opened. Elliot stood there with an apologetic face when he saw Izzy's surprised expression.

"Oh, if you want, then I'll leave..." he stammered, turning towards the door.

Izzy reached out with one hand. "No. It's okay. You can stay."

Elliot nodded and sat down awkwardly. "Can I ask you for some help?" he asked. 

Izzy tucked the book back into her robe pocket. "Let's get started, then, Mr Diggory."

When she emerged from the barriers at King's Cross, she saw her family waiting, Ella squirming under Miriam's hold. Andrew broke into a bright smile when he saw Izzy come out of the platform. Miriam let go of Ella and gave her a bone-crushing hug.

"Mum-" Izzy gasped. "You're choking me." 

She exhaled in relief when Miriam let go, but her relief was short-lived when Ella suddenly charged into her, almost knocking her backwards into a muggle that gave her a dirty look. 

Andrew steadied her. "How was the first three months of your first year? Exciting?"

"It felt so long. But every day was so exciting. I made a lot of friends." she smiled as she mussed Ella's hair. "Still so feisty." she said to Ella. 

"I missed you, Izzy Wizzy." Ella smiled and adjusted her cannula. 

"Don't worry. I did too. Did you get the letters?" she asked. 

Ella nodded excitedly, but then put on a serious face. "You should really write to us more often. I was starting to think you forgot about us." 

Izzy bent down to her height. "I would never, Ells." 

She looked back and saw Elliot drag two trunks behind him; his own trunk and Izzy's trunk. He smiled when he saw her.

"Here's your trunk, Izzy."

"Thanks Elliot." she smiled.

A woman called Elliot's name and waved in their direction.

"Sorry, that's my mum. Is it okay that I send you letters in the holidays?" he smiled bashfully.

Izzy shrugged. "Sure. But I can't return them. I left Heather at school."

"It's okay. Just be prepared though."

"Just don't send me ten every day."

"I'll make sure that Elliot doesn't do that." the woman, Elliot's mother, said from behind Elliot, making the boy jump.

"Mum!" Elliot whined. "You scared me."

Elliot's mum gave him a peck on the cheek. "Sorry, dear. I'll try not to do that. But if I don't, then it won't make me Marnie, eh?"

The two hugged and Marnie dragged him away. "Don't forget the Christmas party at the Weasleys'!" he shouted. 

Izzy waved goodbye and carried Ella up in her arms. The Sanders walked smiling towards their car. 

"What's the magic school like?" Ella asked when Andrew started driving. "Are there unicorns there?"

"Well, we haven't actually seen one yet, but our professors told us that there are unicorns in the Forbidden Forest." Izzy said. 

"Wow." was Ella could manage to say. "I want to go."

"Maybe one day you will."