Chapter Nine

The first years were waiting in the great hall as the dirty and wrinkled Sorting Hat sang a song that never seemed to end. Izzy was standing in the middle of the line between a very tall boy and a girl who was slightly shorter than her. Henry and Elliot were at the front of the line and Hope was at the back. Izzy wondered where she would be sorted. She looked at the four tables, Stella at the Slytherin table, Eliza at the Ravenclaw table, Teddy at the Hufflepuff table and the Gryffindor table with no one that she knew, not like she knew a lot of people anyway. When the Sorting Hat stopped, McGonagall stood up from the Headmistress' chair and stood next to the Sorting Hat on its stool, holding a large roll of parchment.

"Henry Black." she said.

Henry, grinning from ear to ear, stepped up towards the stool and placed the Sorting Hat onto his head. Izzy heard Hope laugh from the back of the line. The hat mumbled to himself, pondering for a moment then shouting out loud and clear.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

Izzy saw Sirius, Nixie and Remus cheering at the teacher's table. 

"Elliot Diggory." McGonagall announced.

Elliot stumbled towards McGonagall and Izzy flashed him a thumbs-up before he sat down. He smiled back.

The Hat mumbled to himself for a minute or two before shouting out, "RAVENCLAW!"

Elliot turned pale as he walked towards the Ravenclaw table where Eliza was sitting. He said that his mother would kill him if he got sorted into Ravenclaw.

Five students went before her and Izzy heard her name being read aloud by McGonagall.

"Isabelle Sanders."

Izzy tried to walk as confidently as she could and picked up the Hat, sat down on the stool and placed it over her head. The Sorting Hat was so big that it covered her entire head. Everything was black around her.

"Hmm..." she heard a voice mumble. "Where to put you?"

Izzy tensed, hearing the Hat speak. "You have courage... yes, lots of it. But considering your father's side was mainly Slytherin with only one Gryffindor and your mother's side, mostly Ravenclaw and Gryffindor, hmm..."

"Excuse me, Mr Sorting Hat?" Izzy whispered.

"What?"

"My parents are muggles. They would have never attended this school."

The Hat hesitated. "Oh, I see the situation here. Never mind."

Izzy was confused. What did the Hat mean with her 'father's' side and her 'mother's' side? She sat there in silence, waiting for the Hat to make a decision.

Nixie Dover looked at the girl, Isabelle, being sorted. It has been around five minutes for the Hat to make its decision. Nixie worried greatly for the girl, but she didn't know why. She looked at Sirius. The man's hands were tight around his goblet. He was worried too. The girl was a hatstall. A few more seconds went by. Not a single sound from the Hat. The whole hall seemed to be waiting for its decision. Nixie saw Elliot Diggory, Cedric and Marnie's son wait with a worried look on his face, probably hoping that Isabelle would join his house. Henry was watching intently but Hope was picking her nails in boredom. The Hat suddenly opened its mouth and shouted out loudly, "RAVENCLAW!!"

The whole hall seemed to exhale and the Ravenclaw students were cheering loudly for their new member. Elliot and Eliza were beaming as the girl went and sat down next to them, smiling, if possible, even wider than them.