Chapter Three

Izzy never even dared to open her eyes at all since the loud crack. Her stomach felt sick, like she was about to throw up. Her feet felt like they weren't standing on anything. The only thing that assured her that she was safe was the arm of the Professor that she was holding onto. When her feet were on solid ground again, which didn't take long, she opened her eyes and gazed around her in wonder.

Remus chuckled. "Isabelle, welcome to Diagon Alley."

There were robed people everywhere. Some were wearing pointed hats and all of them had a stick. They walked pass Eeylops Owl Emporium, an Apothecary, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, a book shop called Flourish and Blotts, and stopped in front of a giant building made entirely of marble and gold. It was capped with a glass dome.

"Professor, what is that building?"

"Gringotts, Isabelle. It's like a bank. But only for wizards, though."

"Are we going in there?"

"Of course, obviously you can't buy anything in this place without Wizard money."

"Oh, okay then."

They walked up to the golden front doors and they opened along with smaller silver ones behind them. A huge golden chandelier hung from the ceiling inside the magnificent building. But beside the aisle to the front desk, working on different machines, were tiny creatures with skin as wrinkled as a prune. Their faces were the ugliest faces that Izzy had ever seen.

"Professor?" Izzy asked, tugging on Remus's blazer. "What in the world are these things?"

Remus chuckled. "They are called goblins. You'll learn all about them in third year with me. Maybe you'll even cover them in History of Magic. Depends on Professor Binns."

"Okay, then."

They stopped in front of the front desk where a goblin sat, perched on top of a very high chair. He looked up when Remus cleared his throat and held out the money.

"We would like to exchange this muggle money to wizard money, please."

The goblin took the money and started counting. After counting numerous times, he muttered. "Nine hundred pounds... hmm."

He pressed a button on a machine in front of him. Gold, silver and bronze coins poured out of it into a small leather pouch. The goblin tied it and handed it to Remus.

"Thank you." Remus said, and walked away with Izzy attached to his arm.

When Izzy stepped out of Gringotts, she was trembling.

"Why are you trembling, Isabelle?" Remus asked.

"They're sort of scary. I think I'll have nightmares tonight or something."

Remus looked away as if thinking, then suddenly blurted, "Have you had breakfast yet?"

"No. Because you arrived at my house. Then I left. So I didn't."

Remus pulled her along to an ice cream parlour.

"Well, I think that there's no better food for breakfast than ice cream, don't you think?"

Izzy nodded excitedly and took the leather pouch from Remus, rushing towards the counter.

Remus sighed. "Children. Good thing I have experience with them. First Eleanor, then Teddy, then Hope when she comes for babysitting."

Suddenly someone grabbed him from behind. Remus let a shout, only to see Nixie Dover standing behind him, arms crossed with an angry expression on her face.

"Oh no." Remus said flatly. "Professor Dover's angry. What did I do?"

"You're late! Your granddaughter's getting her wand along with my son and you're just standing here in an ice-cream parlour! Let's go..." Nixie's voice trailed off when she saw the smiling girl in front of her, a large tiramisu cone in hand. Her memory flashed back... way back to a time she didn't want to remember.

"Umm... Nixie? You alright?" Remus waved a hand in front of her face.

"I'm... fine, Remus, just fine. And who might this be?"

"Hi, I'm Isabelle Sanders. You can call me Izzy."

"I'm Professor Dover, your Transfiguration teacher at Hogwarts. You can call me Nixie, but not in school." she pointed menacingly at Izzy. "Just kidding, sweetie. Have you gotten your wand yet?"

"Actually, Nixie, I was just about to take her to Ollivan-"

"Perfect!" Nixie smiled, but then she turned to Remus with an unamused expression, grabbing him by his collar. "Let's go."

Izzy shook her head as she finished her cone, tossing it into the air for it to vanish and ran after Nixie and Remus, Nixie's voice warbling about how long she's been waiting and whatnot.