Chapter Fourteen

The Hallowe'en Feast was something that all the first years were looking forward to. When Izzy, Elliot and Eliza entered the Great Hall, all of them were gaping at everything. Jack-o-lanterns with evil-looking faces replaced the candles that were usually there. The enchanted ceiling looked like a stormy sky with constant flashes of lightning. The tables were piled with Hallowe'en foods and candies. Eliza waved to Hope, Henry, Teddy and Stella at the Gryffindor table and went to sit next to them, dragging Izzy and Elliot along. Everyone stood up as they came and Izzy backed away, smirking.

"What?" Eliza eyed them all.

"Oh, nothing." Hope smirked. "We just thought that we would give you and Elliot some personal space. We wouldn't want to be the third wheels, am I right?"

Eliza and Elliot blushed.

"It's not like that." Elliot stammered. Eliza managed a string of unintelligible blabbering that Henry couldn't help but snicker at.

After a lot of joking around and calling each other names, the group finally sat down at the Gryffindor table, tucking into the sweets. Izzy watched the teachers' table out of boredom. Professor Flitwick looked like he was really enjoying the pumpkin juice. Professor Black and Professor Dover looked like they were fighting over something and Professor Lupin along with Professor McGonagall were trying their best to ignore them. 

"You know, Hope," Izzy laughed. "I feel so sorry for your grandfather."

"And I think that after all that bickering at the staff table, McGonagall's gonna be deaf." Hope smirked.

She bit into a large chunk of a chocolate cauldron cake but froze while she chewed. She quickly swallowed then grinned the grin of when she was up to something. Hope pulled Henry towards her and whispered something in her ear. Henry laughed loudly, making everyone sitting on the Gryffindor table look at him weirdly.

"Oh well." he said with a mischievous expression on his face. "Don't mind me."

"Yeah, he's real obnoxious." Hope grinned.

Henry's face darkened. "Shut up, Dopey."

After the Hallowe'en Feast, Eliza went with Stella for a quick studying session in the library to finish off their piles of unfinished homework. Izzy sat down with Elliot and tons of other Ravenclaws in the Common Room, writing down the last paragraph in her Astronomy essay. She caught Elliot staring down at her essay out of the corner of her eyes.

"What?" she smirked. "Why all the sudden interest in my homework?"

"Oh..." Elliot blushed. "It's nothing, really. I was really just... marvelling at your handwriting."

"Right." Izzy rolled her eyes. "You know you can ask for help, right? I wouldn't mind."

Elliot sighed and turned his face away. He mumbled something under his breath. Izzy tapped his shoulder. "Louder."

"I may need some-" the rest was a senseless mumbling. Izzy raised an eyebrow. "Fine! I may need some help with my homework." He huffed as he gave up.

Izzy grinned triumphantly and handed him an Astronomy textbook and flipped it to the fifth page. "Read from there." she instructed, and went back to her essay to finish it up. After she was done, she read through the 5 foot long essay and smiled to herself. She rolled it up and headed towards the dormitories. 

"Where are you going?" Elliot asked.

"To bed. It's eleven and we have a busy schedule tomorrow."

"Okay then." he said. "You'll help me tomorrow, right?" 

Izzy smirked. "I don't see why not. I'll tutor you during lunch break. Deal?"

"Deal."

Izzy ducked behind the statue of Rowena Ravenclaw and headed up the stairs. Elliot sighed sadly and looked down at the book again. He skimmed through the pages and in the end, gave up. He couldn't understand a single word. The door to the Common Room swung open and Eliza emerged, carrying textbooks and rolls of parchment. She dumped her things on the ground in front of Elliot and collapsed into the nearest armchair. 

"What happened to you?" he asked. 

When Eliza remained unmoving, Elliot decided to poke her with his quill. "Hello? Eliza? You home?"

Eliza opened her eyes. "What time is it?" she mumbled. 

"Eleven-ish. Why?"

"Izzy still here?" Eliza asked, sitting up straighter. 

Elliot shook his head. "She went to bed just as you came in." 

Eliza cursed. "Damn it. I still need help with that stupid Potions essay. Where is that Isabelle Sanders when you need her?"

Elliot scratched his head, looking awkward. "She's a first year. She wouldn't know anything about third potions, would she?"

Eliza stood up, hands on her hips. "Elliot, she's Izzy. What do you think?" 

"Uh... no?" 

"You're hopeless."