He Was A Dog When I Left, I Swear! - Epilogue

Epilogue:

3 Years Later -

Oh fuckety fuckety fuck.

“Mummy!” Elijah screams. “Mummy!”

I blinked awake dopily, glancing at the alarm clock on my bedside table. Marshall was never babysitting him again. Ever. What idiot let a toddler watch Jaws? Nightmares about sharks had plagued the little lad for the past week.

My room was dark, cast into shadow by the gently fluttering curtains that moved in the slight breeze coming through the window. I sat up, rubbing my hair before flinging the covers back, padding through the house towards Elijah’s room.

“I’m here, sweetheart, it’s okay,” I yawned, opening his door. “The sharks are scared of mum!” He sat there, legs up to his chin, cuddled up in his duvet and definitely still half asleep. It was when he looked like this, that I could forgive the little bugger for waking me up almost every night since he was born.

Elijah crawled to the bottom of his bed, lower lip out. The tell-tale tremble of a full-blown wobbly caused me to scoop him up into my arms and cuddle him close. Hey; he was a mummy’s boy, through and through.

“Cuddles in mummy’s bed?” I asked, not bothering to wait for an answer as I carted him back through, ignoring how eerily quiet the flat was. Sometimes I missed living at home; I missed the chaos that came with living in a house with a big family. But after having Elijah, and being reminded of Bruno, I knew that I had to get out of there as soon as possible.

Just so we could move on.

Because Elijah was solid evidence that I wasn’t mad. He looked just like Bruno; he was his daddy’s double.

Already, the boy wonder began to nod off against my shoulder, lips slightly parted in a pout. My lips turned upwards in a soft smile; he was everything. Elijah Hart was my entire world, and he knew it.

We lay in the bed together, him fast asleep and me taking him in, fondly remembering how he came to be on this planet. He was so special, and he didn’t even know it; conceived in the Realm, with a hero as a father.

All I could hope was that, one day, he’d meet him.

***

“Late again, India,” my boss drawled, looking at me from over half-moon spectacles. I could see egg in his moustache. Again. Yuck. There was something to be said about an unattractive man with his breakfast in his facial hair.

That he was gross.

“Traffic?” I tried, putting my bag down on my desk.

“I thought you walked to work?” he shot back, not looking up from the papers he was scanning through.

Git.

“Bloody cyclists!” I trilled, ducking out of the office and making my way towards the coffee machine down the corridor. Don’t get me wrong; I liked my job. Sure, my dad had helped me get it, and I didn’t like feeling indebted to him, but it paid my rent, and it made sure that Elijah didn’t want for anything.

I leaned against the wall, rubbing my forehead. I was waiting for painkillers to kick in and they weren’t working fast enough. How was one supposed to go to work with a hangover if one’s pain-relief didn’t want to work?

Add that to nearly getting hit by a car that morning thinking I’d seen him.

I wasn’t stupid. I knew that life had to go on without Bruno. Hell, my life had turned upside down since what had happened in the Realm. But that didn’t stop my brain from seeing him in the most random places. Most of the time, after a second, or even third glance, I could see that it wasn’t him.

It still hurt. It was still a raw, painful thought. The thought that it had all been a dream. That being said, I had pretty concrete proof that it hadn’t been completely made up – he was about three foot and obsessed with dinosaurs.

But sometimes…Sometimes I got hopeful. Hopeful that he was out there, vaguely remembering the girl who had pledged undying love to him.

Something that I didn’t do to every Tom, Dick and Harry, thank you very much, much to my boss’ disappointment (he seemed very put out when I told him that I wasn’t looking for love, thank you very much).

“Blue?”

I blinked, looking around. No-one had called me that since I’d come back from the Realm. It was like I left with a nickname and came back as India. Not that I had complained about it; the less I was reminded of Bruno, the better.

My eyes fell on a lanky figure; lean but muscular, wearing a nicely cut suit. With sparkly blue eyes. And floppy hair.

And a mark that matched the one burned into my wrist.

Well.

Guess I wouldn’t be getting that coffee alone.

_________________________________________________________

Phewf! Only took me three years to write this! No time at all, really!

Sequel?

I'm thinking about it! Leaning towards yes at the moment! Give me a few weeks to brainstorm a worthy plot and I'll let you know! I definitely want to have Bruno getting to know his kiddlywink! 

And I definitely want to edit this to buggery, because it's a bit all over the place! But yeah, that's the book done! Keep your eyes peeled for updates about the sequel aaaaaaaand in the mean time, you could check out the other stories on my page!

Thank you very much for sticking with Blue and Bruno ;)