He Was A Dog When I Left, I Swear! - Chapter 5

Blue:

The music was loud and there were far too many people shouting. I pushed my way through the crowd, looking for the shock of peroxide blonde hair that belonged to Tabby. But everyone seemed to be too tall, and everyone’s hair colour just seemed to merge into one to be honest.

Finally, I spotted her next to the kitchen door, her hair piled on her hair and backcombed within an inch of its life. Poor hair. I made a mental note to be kinder to mine in the future.

“Tabby!” I shouted over the din. “What’s wrong?” She looked round at me, her eyes wide and bright; evidently, alcohol wasn’t the only thing she had had tonight.

She pointed her finger over to a small huddle of people, her red nails catching the light and gleaming. I stared at where she was pointed, the music starting to make my head hurt.

I felt the colour drain from my face as I saw Dex with his tongue pushed down someone’s throat. I didn’t know why it hurt so much; we hadn’t been together in months. Why Tabby had decided to get me over here to see that was beyond me. If anything, it just made me want to curl up in a corner with a blanket and a bar of chocolate.

“It’s Gloria!” Tabby shrieked. Suddenly, everything seemed to go quiet, and I stared at my now ex-best friend and my ex-boyfriend trying to eat each other. It hurt. She had been the one who had said that he was far too good for me, that he was the scum of the earth.

And there she was kissing him.

I walked over to them both silently, swallowing back any stupid tears that were about to make an appearance. I didn’t want to cry over a boy. I didn’t want to cry over something like this. But Dex was special. He had been everything to me, and now…now, apparently, I was nothing.

“Blue!” he slurred, breaking away from Gloria. “How’s you, y’wee Stunner?” I stared at him, hurt. Gloria turned slowly, smiling serenely at me.

“Hiya, Blue,” she purred.

And I hit her. Just. Like. That. I pulled back my fist and smacked her square in the jaw, making my knuckles crack and her shout out in pain. Dex didn’t even seem to react; he just laughed at the fact that Gloria was lying on the floor clutching her face.

Shaking my head, I made my way back over to Tabby and the little circle of friends she had attracted. I was expecting Gloria to something at my head but it never came, which made me think that the punch must’ve hurt more than I thought.

I picked up a bottle of something from the table and knocked it back, quite glad that there was a steady steam of alcoholic beverages to stop me from thinking. Tabby watched me uncertainly, not sure whether to take the bottle from me and tell me to go home, or just let me get on with it.

She must’ve decided on the latter, because, moments later, she was off dancing with some boy from her Biology class.

Sighing, I flopped down on one of the sofas, staring blankly at the wall as I drank. When everything seemed to tilt, I laughed, trying to convince myself that I didn’t care about the fact that I had been betrayed by Gloria.

That it didn’t feel like my insides were crumbling.

It shouldn’t have felt as bad as it did. Maybe…Maybe I was just being overdramatic. Or maybe I deserved the hurt that came with the betrayal after everything I had done.

Or maybe there was just someone trying to tell me that this was what life was meant to be; hurtful and filled with booze fuelled decisions.

***

I must’ve drifted off on the couch because, the next thing I knew, I was stirring in someone’s arms, breathing in their smell. I became vaguely aware that we were moving; the strides quick and confident. The person was comfy enough, so I made no attempt to get down.