He Was A Dog When I Left, I Swear! - Chapter 7

Chapter 7:

The sound of barking ended our hug pretty sharpish; Tabby practically bolted to the opposite side of the room out of shock. I bit my lip, tilting my head to the side as I made my way into the hallway. Oh dear, I’d lost the Dog-Boy.

“’kin hell! Get that mutt away from me!”

I wasn’t sure to be stunned that it was Dex’s voice I was hearing, or pretty chuffed because it was Bruno he was talking about. I walked outside, kicking aside numerous smashed bottles, and down the shabby garden path, towards where the dog was trying to take a lump out of the ex-boyfriend’s thigh.

“Blue!” Dex sounded shocked to see me, as if it was some big surprise that I’d ever be near Tabby’s house. In response, Bruno lunged at him, snapping and snarling. I would have laughed at the look of fear on Dex’s face, but it seemed pointless.

Last night’s events were still very much a raw entity in my head.

“Is this your dog?” he demanded, jumping up on the wall to get away from Bruno. The cocky, arrogant hound trotted over to me, plopping himself down by my feet and looked up at me with bright eyes.

“Yes,” I sighed, scratching behind Bruno’s ears.

“He’s a bit aggressive, ain’t he?”

“Only to people who deserve it,” I snapped. All the time, Bruno stayed rigid against my leg, as though trying to tempt Dex into making a move towards me. I sighed, rubbing the back of my neck. What the hell was he doing here? Why couldn’t he just disappear?

“Whatever, Blue,” Dex muttered, pushing past me. I watched as he went into Tabby’s house, swaggering in like he owned the place. What an absolute douchebag.

“I hate men,” I announced, flopping down on the wall that Dex had just vacated. “They’re slimy and nasty and vastly under appreciative of a good deodorant.” In response, Bruno nipped my hand with his teeth.

“And they bite,” I grumbled. I was about to get up and leave; text Tabby to tell her something had come up, instead of having to face bloody Dexter again.

But glass shattered from inside the house.

After a bit of a fight with Bruno, which consisted of wrestling with him to get into the bloody place, I went back in, trembling slightly as the noises got louder and louder.

“You’re a shit,” I heard Tabby screech. “You’re an absolute shit.”

Only, she wasn’t shouting at Dex. Dom was upright, glowering at his sister angrily, his comatose state suddenly forgotten. His hand was bleeding, shards of glass sticking from the skin as he towered over her. Dominic Morley was probably about as vile as they came; this great, hulking git who thought nothing of letting his sister take the flack for everything he did.

And Tabby was so desperate to keep her family together, that she let him.

He raised his fist, slamming it into the wall next to Tabby’s head. She flinched, closing her eyes as she whimpered. I would’ve, should’ve put myself in between them; try and get him away from her, but the truth was, that I was petrified. Call me a coward, but Dom was a scary guy. At least he would stop if was with Tabby; he just liked to put the frighteners on. But if it was anyone else, he wouldn’t have taken any prisoners.

A flash of fur, a gleam of teeth, and suddenly Dominic Morley was on the floor, Bruno’s hulking mass of pure muscle on top of him, a growl echoing around the room. I watched as Tabby slumped down, shaking, staring at Dom trying to push Bruno off.