Bouncing down the hill were some of the largest boulders James had ever seen. They were roughly hewn, with juts that resembled blades, and must have been about four meters across. When they hit the ground, they left enormous indentations in the earth that resembled small craters. They were literally bouncing down the hill at a crushing speed, straight towards the ten petrified children. Just then, Rose had an idea. She noticed the boulders seemed to fall into the same holes already created by their brethren.

"LOOK! THERE'S A PATTERN! EVERYONE NEEDS TO AVOID THE CRATERS!" Rose shouted, trying to bring the others to their senses. She ran out and flattened herself onto a piece of untouched ground where boulders would not fall. She gestured for the others to follow her lead. As the boulders approached, James crouched down in one of her vacated havens, and Scorpius, Cat, and Bel took another a few meters away. Teddy sent Hugo up to James while keeping Lily with him and Victoire—the gaps were not quite big enough to hold four. Tears were leaking from her eyes as Teddy made sure she kept as close to the ground as possible. Lily kept shaking her head, watching as the boulders bounced around and occasionally above them. Teddy was anxious at first, when it seemed as if she simply would not listen. Then he panicked, his hair and eyes a blazing, and he resorted to yelling at her.

"LILY, LISTEN TO ME RIGHT NOW!" he yelled. "If you want to live you need to keep your head down, understand? NOW!"

Lily nodded her head, finally hugging the ground willingly when she realized, as did the rest, that a boulder was hurtling straight at them. Victoire was the only one who had a clear view of the boulder's path and just as it was about to hit, she yanked Teddy and Lily a few inches toward her, saving them from the boulder's wrath. It may have been all in her head but she could've sworn she'd heard a muffled groan as the boulder flew above them. She let out a blood curdling scream, fearful for Teddy's fate. She buried her face in the ground as the boulders bounced overhead, still screaming, but too afraid to look up. Each boulder's crunching thud made her heart beat faster. She couldn't bring herself to turn her head and see if Teddy had been crushed by the boulder or not. She stayed stock still , tears streaming down her cheeks, as the rest of the wave of boulders bounded down the side of the mountain. With each one, she felt less and less confident that Teddy was alive. All she knew was that he couldn't die...she didn't know how she could possibly get along without him...her best friend in the entire world.

Finally, the boulders ceased and Victoire raised her head slowly. Her vision was blurred by tears and she had to wipe them away repeatedly before she could survey the area. It seemed that all the first years, along with Hugo and Rose, remained safe. They were all covered in dirt, especially the young ones whose faces were smeared with brown, but nonetheless, they were safe. Then, she forced herself to look to her right at Teddy and Lily. She saw Lily first, looking quite frightened but alive. Then she met eyes with Teddy. He forced a smile as he got up uneasily, wincing, and she could see why. The back of his shirt was half torn off and he was badly scratched by the rock, bleeding dark red onto the brown dirt. She couldn't stand to see him in pain—it looked like it hurt like hell. However, to her greatest relief, other than that, he looked fine. She let out a sigh of relief and began to cry even harder.

"TEDDY!" she ran, throwing her arms around his neck, careful to avoid the gash in his back.

"What is it Vic? C'mere, you're shaking." He embraced her tightly.

In that moment, she forgave him all his snide remarks of the past. She hugged Lily quickly and then backed up. Teddy saw the tears streaming down her cheeks and pulled her closer to him again, wiping them away.

Victoire finally found words. "I-I-I thought the b-b-boulder had f-f-finished you. Don't e-ever scare m-me like that again, Edward Remus Lupin! I've n-never been so s-scared in m-my entire life!"