25: Fond

After Damon left me alone in the sitting room, I took a few deep breaths before returning to the dining room

After Damon left me alone in the sitting room, I took a few deep breaths before returning to the dining room. There were little conversations going on around the table, nothing of much importance yet. Jenna and Elijah were talking about the buildings around town, Damon was back in the kitchen with Alaric and John sat awkwardly at the end of the table, eyeing Elijah.

Alaric's place was already set beside Elijah, but I decided I'd rather sit between Elijah and John than Jenna and Damon. John's eyes went wide, and I could tell he wasn't ecstatic that I was here, or that I was sitting beside the original vampire he's planning on killing tonight. "Alaric is sitting there, Blair. Damon set your spot beside Jenna." John spoke cautiously.

   "I really doubt that Alaric will mind, right, Jenna?" Jenna only shrugged, "plus, I haven't spent much time with Elijah, and I'm hoping to get to know him better tonight."

   "I don't see a problem with that." Elijah smiled at me. Jenna nodded in agreement, but John stayed uncomfortable. Damon and Ric returned to the dining room with the food in hand.

"Ric, you'll be sitting next to me now." Jenna smiled as she patted the seat where I was supposed to sit. Alaric nodded as he placed the food on table and took his new seat.

Everyone was quite and awkward at first, nobody was sure what to say. The topic of witches came up, and multiple other things but no conversation lasted very long. After a another long silence, I finally spoke. "Maybe it's time for some drinks. Let's ease this awkwardness."

"You mean for the adults, right? Not for the underage addict?" Jenna spoke in a guardian-type of tone.

"Yes, of course, Aunt Jenna. No alcohol for me." I smiled falsely as I stood. "Everyone okay with bourbon?"

Everyone said yes, but as I passed Damon, he grabbed my wrist, and whispered, "nothing older than 2000. I'm not going to give away my good stuff."

I quickly nodded before heading into the sitting room and grabbed a bottle from 1999, purposely to piss off Damon. I pulled out six glasses, and filled them all half way. The sixth glass was for me, but since Jenna wasn't allowing me to drink with them, I chugged it within a few seconds. I grabbed three of the cups by wrapping my fingers around all of them, then paused for a second, trying to figure out how to pick up the other two.

I put all three back down, then put one in my mouth, biting the part that you'd drink from, then picked up three more the same way I had them before. Damnit, how do waitresses do this? I thought to myself as I glared at the fifth glass.

"I thought I'd come help you carry some of those glasses." Elijah's voice came out of no where, causing me to jump, and drop the glass from my mouth as I muttered a 'Jesus'.