Chapter 6 - I still don't know why I'm doing this

Start from the beginning

"So," he asked while stretching out on the passenger seat, "how long have you been working at this place?"

She was rather surprised at this inquiry since she'd have been just fine with driving to his house in silence.

She felt a mild curiosity as to what had motivated him to ask such a random question but decided to blame it on mere politeness. Never mind the fact that Tyler wasn't exactly known for being polite.

And maybe, though he didn't seem like it, he was one of those people who weren't comfortable with silence.

"Almost one year - since I turned 17."

"Do you like it?" he continued his interrogation.

She looked away from the road for a second to shoot him a questioning look but he merely shrugged and raised his eyebrows, a silent way of insisting to hear the question answered.

"Yeah, I suppose. Boss and colleagues are ok and it pays well. There's the occasional assholes stopping by but other than that..." she trailed off and smirked at him before focusing back on the road.

"Ouch, I'm wounded," he replied, voice laced with heavy sarcasm. She could hear the grin in his voice.

He interrupted the conversation for telling her where she had to drive next and she assumed his questioning was now over.

"What about your folks? They're ok with you working?"

Or not.

Why did he keep asking questions?

"Why do you care?"

"I'm just asking," he said. It was obvious that he didn't understand her deal and she had to admit she wasn't exactly being fair to him. After all, he was just making small talk.

He couldn't possibly know this was a sore subject.

"I live with my grandma and she's fine with it," she finally answered.

"Saving the money for college," she volunteered to show she was making an effort but she was still silently wondering why there was a need for this.

"So, it's just you and your grandmother?"

"No, there's also my little sister. She's three, her name is Penny and she's really cute and lovely. And she reminds me of my mom..." Alysia trailed of suddenly when she felt the small smile that had formed on her face at the thought of her little sister. Why was she rambling on like an idiot?

What had possessed her to even say this much?

"What happened to your parents?"
Aly sighed. She wasn't sure what to say to that - she wasn't used to people pressing topics she clearly didn't want to talk about but Tyler didn't really seem to care.

And combine this with the fact that she was yet to find out what he wanted from her right now and she was quite confused.

Nevertheless, as usual, the thought of her parents left a note of bitterness and mostly grief in her stomach.

"My dad bailed when he found out my mom was pregnant and my mom...she died in a car crash."

Aly tried for a natural tone so he didn't know how much this still affected her but she wasn't sure if she'd succeeded.

Tyler didn't react the way people usually reacted. He didn't apologize or sink into an awkward silence. After a short while he asked whether she raised her little sister.

"Together with Nana, yeah."

He motioned for her to stop the car in front of the gates of a huge, majestic mansion. Alys jaw dropped when she stared at it.