First day together

Start from the beginning

"H-here, have this. Y-you're hungry like m-me." Draco gave him half his bread, and Harry took it thankfully. Harry thanked him and motioned for Draco to sit opposite him. This was like the food he ate. Harry finished and felt less light-headed.

"W-when did y-you last eat?" Draco asked him. Harry frowned, not wanting to tell him the truth. What if his uncle found out and got mad at him for spreading the word? Harry put his hands in his lap and tried to debate whether or not to tell him. Harry asked him why. "Y-you're so pale and t-thin. I thought maybe y-you w-were like m-me." 

"Nine days, how about you?" Harry was nervous. He told him because they might be alike. He had helped him, after all. Harry had always thought that he was the only person in the world who was beaten and starved. The other thing must only happen to him.

"Eight d-days. So y-you a-are like me." Harry's eyes went wide. He wasn't alone. Draco was like him. Harry and Draco could stick together and get really close. Harry smiled. Although he was sad that Draco was hurt, he was glad that they had found each other.

"Who are your parents?" Harry asked Draco, wondering who was doing this to Draco. Draco seemed saddened before he began to speak softly.

"My p-parent are d-dead. I d-don't remember them. I live with t-the Riddles." As soon as that was said, a ball came hurtling towards Draco, and his him in the back of the head. Draco whimpered, his eyes filling with tears. He whirled around to see none other than Sabastian Riddle. Riddle smirked, picking the ball from off of the ground.

"Well well, if it isn't Malfoy." Dudley looked over, hearing Sabastians voice, bored after having finished his lunch, and decided to bring his friends to join in with Sabastian. Maybe they could have fun tormenting Harry and his new friend Draco. "Oh, and who do we have here? Harry? Made a new friend?"

"Potter, have got yourself a boyfriend? Shall we persuade him not to be friends with you anymore? And persuade you not to make them? You're just a freak, scar-head." Harry flinched. Dudley hit Draco, Sabastian hit Harry. Hit after hit landed on them. Crack. Harry felt his nose bend. Blood ran into Harry's mouth. He was more concerned for Draco, however. Draco was curled into a ball, shaking as tears ran down his face. He was being kicked by Dudley and his gang. 

Crack. Harry felt his nose bend in the opposite direction. More blood poured down his face. A loud thump could be heard when Dudley's friend Piers Polkiss kicked Draco. Dudley laughed and Draco went tense. Harry didn't like seeing other people hurt. He didn't want Draco hurt... no. He let a tear fall down his face as he thought desperately of a way to get Draco out of this situation. Suddenly, Draco zoomed towards him, his body not touching the floor. Everyone gasped and stilled. Harry didn't wait around to see what happened next and took Draco's hand, pulled him up and began running as fast as he could. Draco ran too. Everyone in the playground ignored them. Nobody noticed them as they were chased through the playground. They sped around the corner.

"Stop, Potter, or I'll beat you now ex-boyfriend to death!" Said Dudley as Harry and Draco turned the corner. Oh no, it was a dead end. Draco whimpered and trembled in fear. He was shaking. Harry bit his lip and looked around frantically. The roof. Harry closed his eyes and imagined himself and Draco on the roof at safety. If only they could get there. 

"Potter? Malfoy? How'd you get up there?" It was Dudley. Sabastian and Piers gasped, as well as Dudley's other friends. Harry opened his eyes, as did Draco. They both gasped too. How did they get on the roof? Harry looked at Draco, his eyes wide, and Draco looked at Harry the same. Mr Lupin came speeding around the corner. It seemed as though he had seen what was going on.

"How on earth-? You, get me a ladder from the school garden." His eyes were wide and he looked taken aback. Dudley scowled but went anyway. Draco clutched onto Harry's jumper, still completely shocked. He was trembling. Mr Lupin put the ladder up and climbed up it. He put out an arm out to Draco, but Draco just stepped closer to Harry and clutched onto Harry's jumper tighter. 

"Draco, go down with Mr Lupin. It's okay." Harry told him in a whisper. He knew that Draco was scared because of Sabastian and Dudley being down there. "Please, Draco. I won't let him hurt you when we get down there."

Harry smiled slightly and Draco went over to Mr Lupin who picked him up and brought him down. Harry waited for Mr Lupin to come up again to bring him down again. Sabastian went to hit Draco when Mr Lupin wasn't looking but instead, his hand glowed white and seemed to hit thin air. Harry gulped. Thank God. He didn't want to break his promise. When he touched the ground, he thanked Mr Lupin, who smiled and walked off. Harry looked at him. Were they not in trouble? Draco clutched Harry's Jumper again. 

"T-thank y-you H-Harry." Draco said. Harry looked over to Dudley and his friends (who now seemed to consist of Sabastian) and gulped. Dudley and Sabastian stood at the front of the group and put their fists in their hands. The bell sounded. Saved by the bell. Dudley, Sabastian and the other's who were blocking Harry's and Draco's way, went to their lesson, annoyed. Draco hugged Harry who tensed. "I can't r-remember ever being h-hugged before."

"Neither can I." Said Harry as they parted. Harry frowned and thought about his life."I hate my aunt, uncle, and cousin. I wish my parents were alive still. But they died too. Like yours. I wish I could be like other children." 

"Y-you're an o-ophan t-too?" Draco said as he looked up. Harry nodded and they looked at each other for a second. They left to go to their class, both of them aching and bleeding. Harry whipped the dry blood from his nose onto his sleeve and sighed. They walked into class, only just making it in time. Taking their seats, Harry and Draco went back into silence. Nobody noticed the blood. Nobody, except Mr Lupin.

_______________

"Draco? Erm, I just wanted to ask you- do you have a bed?" Harry was curious. He'd never met someone like him before. The end of the day came, and Harry and Draco discovered they lived near each other. They began to walk home, Draco limping and Harry grabbing his stomach in hunger.

"N-no. I sleep on a t-towel in the l-laundry r-room." Draco told him. He didn't seem to think it was that unusual to not have a bed. Draco shrugged slightly as they continued to walk. "D-do y-you?" 

"No. I sleep on the floor in a cupboard under the stairs. Oh yeah, there could be day's where I don't come in for a while. A week or something. I sometimes get locked in there." Draco nodded, his face creasing with worry. He didn't want to be at school without Harry. "Wanna go to the park before we go back?"

"S-sound's n-nice," Draco replied and they walked to the park. It wasn't off route and they wouldn't spend too long there. When they arrived at the park, they both headed for the swings. 

"I bet I can swing higher!" Harry said with a laugh. For a moment they forgot all the pain and sorrow in their lives. Everything seemed golden and amazing. It wasn't, of course. Soon they'd have to go back to the torment and abuse of their respective houses.

"Y-y-you w-w-wish!" Draco smirked, and they both swung as high as they could. Quarter of an hour later, they called it a draw. "H-hey Harry? A-a-are you s-s-scared of them k-k-kill... are you s-s-scared of d-d-dying?"

"No, but I think I might die. There is nothing to fear. When you die you aren't gone. Your soul finds a new place to live, whether that be another human or a fox of any living being.  Death itself is forgotten and freeing. It's a fresh start, not a bitter end. You don't have to be scared."

Draco nodded, smiling a little bit. Neither wanting to face what was going to have to happen in just a few moments. It was Harry who brought it up first.

"I better head back, I have to cook dinner," Harry said sadly. Harry looked away from Draco, kicking his feet on the grass below him. The blue sky was starting to grey a little, clouds filling the sky. "They'll  be wanting it soon." 

"Y-yeah, and I h-have to g-get b-back a-and c-clean t-the h-house. It was a right state when I left it; d-doubt it's a-any b-better n-now." Draco sighed. "I guess I'll see y-y-you t-t-tomorrow, Harry. W-well, I-I h-hope. T-thank you." 

"Yeah, same to you, Draco. For staying with me even with Dudley." Draco hugged Harry and began to limp away, and Harry smiled sadly to himself. A new friend who is stuck in a situation like his is. Harry began to walk to his uncle's house, A frown plastered on his face. But there's nothing he could do.